Exercise to lower blood sugar

I have been running on a treadmill when my blood sugar is higher than what I feel comfortable with. I watch my sensor. It used to really bug me when I was high for too long, like 10.5mmol. Now I can jog on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes and it will come down, then I am happy again. I am so afraid of having complications. I have been a type 1 for almost 24 years, with no complications and I have been having the best control on the pump. My a1c has been in the 6.5-6.9 range and few lows.

Good for you for adopting this tactic. It’s not always convenient when the blood sugar decides to go higher and you’re ready for some down time. I see exercise as a magic catalyst that sensitizes the body to insulin’s action and clearing glucose from the system. The CGM has enabled us to respond to glucose swings in a timely way. I’m glad to read that you’ve found the sweet spot between good control with few lows. Keep up the good work!

Thankyou so much. I strive for the best control I can get and feel let down when I go high. I also found that the insulin seems to be working better since exercising. I am a small person so I find that only 10-15 minutes of walking/jogging is a small price to pay for a high bloodsugar. I am usually watching the sensor to wish the arrow to trend down. I can’t stand it when I am high for very long. By high I mean between 10 and 13 mmol.

I find my best overall BG control happens when I use 20-30 walks to cut off post-meal “BG mountain-tops.” This is definitely superior to using insulin to correct. Exercising when meal insulin is peaking is a potent combo.

I totally agree!