Exercise to lower blood sugar

I have been running on a treadmill when my blood sugar is higher than what I feel comfortable with. I watch my sensor. It used to really bug me when I was high for too long, like 10.5mmol. Now I can jog on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes and it will come down, then I am happy again. I am so afraid of having complications. I have been a type 1 for almost 24 years, with no complications and I have been having the best control on the pump. My a1c has been in the 6.5-6.9 range and few lows.

3 Likes

Good for you for adopting this tactic. It’s not always convenient when the blood sugar decides to go higher and you’re ready for some down time. I see exercise as a magic catalyst that sensitizes the body to insulin’s action and clearing glucose from the system. The CGM has enabled us to respond to glucose swings in a timely way. I’m glad to read that you’ve found the sweet spot between good control with few lows. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thankyou so much. I strive for the best control I can get and feel let down when I go high. I also found that the insulin seems to be working better since exercising. I am a small person so I find that only 10-15 minutes of walking/jogging is a small price to pay for a high bloodsugar. I am usually watching the sensor to wish the arrow to trend down. I can’t stand it when I am high for very long. By high I mean between 10 and 13 mmol.

1 Like

I find my best overall BG control happens when I use 20-30 minute walks to cut off post-meal “BG mountain-tops.” This is definitely superior to using insulin to correct. Exercising when meal insulin is peaking is a potent combo.

1 Like

I totally agree!

I’ve been going to physical therapy for a few weeks now (hip bursitis). They have been having me lift weights with my legs, etc., a real change from my daily don’t do much routine. I noticed that a session of PT will knock my BG diwn by 20-30 points. So I’ve had to let my BG rise beforehand to avoid going hypo.

I pulled up my data from dexcom clarity and it showed that the first week I wasn’t exercising that my average was

I usually rise about three hours after supper. I really don’t feel like exercising past 730pm.

I am happy you found something that works for you. I use the Leslie Sansone videos (walk at home exercises) and a bike and the results are amazing. I see my readings down to 5 to 5.5.

The truth be told here is that I also pay attention to what I eat. I stick with whole foods and I use the glycemic index as well. Continued success to you.

I had a problem with my knee in January 2019. I couldn’t do a deep bend with my right leg and my knee was swelling & felt bruised. So I wasn’t walking on the treadmill. I got a stationary bike instead. Now it is better that the weather has warmed up a little bit. I don’t feel so old anymore.

2 Likes

Stationary bikes are great options for diabetics. My blood sugar drops significantly when I exercise and so I love doing it at home, so that I am free to stop whenever I need to and that I can also break it up into bits and pieces. Thanks for the response and all the best.

Only 2 pieces of hardware are needed to control diabetes. A scale and a CGM.

If you eat, dose and exercise to your CGM and Scale, I am sure that you will find you can control your diabetes far better than any fad eating plan or exercise. CGM + Scale gives real time actionable feedback with which you can take lots of different avenues to correct as needed. Variety makes life and living with this scourge much more enjoyable. Set plans have proven to fail over and over again.

1 Like

But I don’t think the point of the post was actually just controlling spikes, but rather that exercise is another way of aiding in the control of diabetes. The other benefits of exercise is strengthening the cardio system which is also important for people with diabetes. You don’t get this with the scale and CGM. There are aspects of exercise that help with the mental well being. Exercise also helps to build strength and balance.

3 Likes

I have been trying to get regular ex for many years now. I used to use my bike after dinner for 30 minutes but don’t now as I’m too tired. However I do walk a lot (3x weekly for 1 hour in addition to once or twice weekly bigger hikes). Also, I live near a mountain pass, so lots of ups and downs! My problem is that as I’m now quite low carb (with fantastic results) I’m trying to get my bs not to go way down when I go for a 4 - 6 hour hike. It’s such a pain to have to shovel in the skittles while walking (I’m in a club) and I always have to… should I be eating as we leave? Any advice would be most welcome.

How do you currently control your BG? Are you on Basal/Bolus insulin or other medications?

T1 since 1975. Currently on toujeo and fiasp.

I also use exercise to manage my blood sugars.
However I always do my 40 minute after meal walks outdoors. The fresh air and contact with nature provide benefits in terms of de-stressing and just plain feeling good. I realize that I am fortunate living close by a 10 mile long seawall that offers beautiful scenery and the company of cormorants, seals, eagle nests and the occasional swan. It also feels safe with regular patrols by police on bikes or all terrain vehicles. And about two miles down the seawall there is a public market where I can shop for dinner and/or stop for an ice cream cone or cup of coffee. In fact those regular walks on the False Creek seawall have taken on a spiritual nature, with the surrounding trees, flowers, wildlife and ocean taking the form of a kind of cathedral. Anyhow, I would strongly recommend trying the outdoor alternative for those who live in in a suitable neighbourhood or have access to a close by park, rather than peddling or treading away in the living room.

Thank you - Sorry I can’t help as no experience with toujeo/fiasp

Totally different scenery (mountains, forest) but exactly the same way of doing things! Excellent for the blood sugar, the legs, and more especially the soul…

One of the problems with MDI is that whatever basal insulin you’ve taken, that’s what you’ve got onboard—you can’t switch it off temporarily as you can with a pump. From what you describe, if you’re on low carb and therefore not meal bolusing very much, it kind of has to be the basal insulin that’s dropping you. Have you tried splitting your doses, or taking significantly less on days where you know you’re going hiking?

2 Likes