Facebook

Yes - but mostly from my friends with diabetes. I even post pictures of my CGM - and get comments and likes.

Thank you Yoga0 for showing support for the medicare CGM act. This is so important.

I post all my blogs on FaceBook. I do so because my sons religiously read Facebook and never of course come into this site to read blog posts. There is nothing I love more than using subtle cues to get my sons to read my writing. LOL I may slip in a couple of fatherly advice notes. LOL Even when your sons are 36 and 33 I am still a dad after-all.

I've sent you a friend request to send you some :-) I love instagram, I hardly ever use twitter for some reason.

i post on facebook this am. I have over 3000 friends. I asked: Are you diabetic using a pump. If so what is your preference, animas or medtronic.? And what I get back is two responses and neither one had an insulin pump but gave me comments about other devices from medtronic. This is why, I don't like facebook.

I don't need thousands of friends either but I pretty much accept all of the requests I get and usually try to send a message and chat, at least a bit. I don't really ever wonder if anyone is a stalker, mostly because I'm a middle-aged man and sort of out of the wheelhouse of things people stalk. MrsAcidRock has commented about "your diabetes friends" and, occasionally will remark that many of them are women but I have plenty of guy friends too. Sometimes, if I'm not 100% sure who a person is, I will wait until I can get to my computer to check them out and figure out who they are.

At the Unconference, I did a well-received skit with BrianBSC where he was calling his insurance company and asking for something or other and I told him I wasn't covering his supplies because we had seen pictures of him staggering up and down the Strip on his FB page!

That is a problem with FB. I will occasionally perceive a problem as including a question and toss out an answer but I don't see as much substantive dialogue there as I do here. Although the flip side of that is that many of the interesting "tactical" threads here, e.g. Alfreezapalooza, get bogged down with too much science for my taste. I'm always very dismissive of liver functions (although I observe them too, say when I lift weights...) and will sort of drift away from them, or just lurk and read them every couple of days.

I have a local group I met when a person saw one of my posts and was struck enough to look at me and invited me to this secret group (levels of security, basically, a member has to *tap* you...it sort of goes against my democratic inclinations but given weirdos being everywhere, I figure it makes sense...) which I'd heard about from another friend of mine, who'd told me about her secret group but didn't bother inviting me as it seems too kid oriented. I've continued hanging out and while it is mostly moms chatting about their T1 kids, it has been useful, got me off my butt and onto the Tour de Cure. One of my friends said she'd hoped to get me to speak at the T1Nation event locally however that was the weekend I was in Vegas so it didn't work out. Maybe next year? I think it's useful to get yourself out there and participate. I've enjoyed it whenever I've gotten out and extended myself to cross the IRL barrier.

Roxanne, 3000 friends with only 2 responses? I guess we should look on the bright side... they didn't NEED a pump.

Thank you Susan for your response!

LOL....Rick, pretty clever!

Yeah, and neither response was about an insulin pump. Need to make a decision today anyway. Guess I'll get my hat, and pull the one to order out of that. Just kidding.

I wanted to delete them all and start over, but deleting is such a chore.

I only have experience with the Medtronic pumps so, I can't really compare the two for you. But, I'm sure others on TuD can!!!

Have you seen Medtronic has a new pump out called the 640G? First out in Australia and soon to be available in the US by April 2016. Or, so they say! Plus, an even newer one in the future called a 670.

I'm currently using the MM Revel with CGM. I previously used soft-sensors and now using the Enlites. I'm hoping to get the 640G next.

Do you have any specific questions about the pump I can maybe help you with?

I was looking at the Animas Vibe and the Medtronic's 530G with enlite and the Metronic Revel. Probably will go with the Medtronic's 530G, that is the one I brought home for a trial. Seems like it was easy enough, but I little hard for me to see inside. Out in the bright sun I can see it just fine. I like that the Vibe is waterproof and the other ones not so much. Anyway, those are the ones I am considering.

I understand about the screen being hard to read. That's one of the complaints I have and when I fill out surveys I always make sure they know it. And, believe me they do listen because they want improve to fit our needs and sell us a pump. Their newest pump (640G)has an updated screen.
The 530G is a newer pump then the Revel. I'm not even sure you can still get the Revel???

It was on my list given to me by my CDE.

That's good to know! I wasn't aware they continued to sell older model pumps once they had a newer model available.

Thanks to DHF for featuring my question on FB!!!

The sales rep from medtronic insisted on the revel for me, because I'm type 2 diabetic using insulin. He said that's the only pump that the insurance would approve. I didn't argue with him, and called my insurance the next day and was told that they pay for whatever the doctor writes the presciption for. So I sent the doc and email telling him my preference that I had to have this for the next 4 years and by then the new one comes to the US and this one becomes obsolete. That what I think anyway, but I don't really know. Just glad to get something.

It's my understanding also that insurance companies will pay for what the doctor prescribes. Good luck to you!

Insurance companies don't always pay for what doctors prescribe. They will contend that the "standard of care" might not include a pump for a T2 nor say > 4 test strips/ day or various other types of gear. Although of course, they will think little of blowing $$$ on a glucagon pen I will never use in a million years.

If they deny a claim of this nature, the doctor can then write a "letter of medical necessity" to try to "trump" the insurance company doctor and sometimes this can work, although it always sends me through the roof because the whole "song and dance" element of it is utterly absurd, particularly while you're running out of supplies. I totally can agree that a pump would be very useful to someone working to manage T2 and am incensed that they can't figure out a better way to make supplies more readily available to PWD of all types.