Fasting blood sugar during pregnancy

I am 5 weeks pregnant - very early, but since important development to the organs occurs within the first 8 weeks of pregnancy, I am trying to be really careful with my blood sugar control.

My endo wants my fasting number to be 95 - which is what it should be for non-D pregnant women. Before pregnancy, my fasting number was consistently about 110. My doctor is booked and I can’t see her for another week, so over the phone she increased my glipizide dosage (I also take metformin, but that’s it). It worked for a few days, with fasting numbers in the 80s - 90s. But then it crept back up again. Yesterday was 120 and today was 115.

I know that those are both just points away from 95, but I’m really worried that I’m not keeping tight enough control. I plan to call my doctor tomorrow to find out if there’s anything else I can do in the week before I actually meet her (where she will probably prescribe insulin). That, or I guess I’m looking for some reassurance that the difference between 95 and 115 isn’t going to cause the baby to have neural tube defects or be too big.

I know that pregnancy hormones mess with blood sugar (which is why many women get gestational diabetes). I eat pretty low carb/ high fat (though as a pescatarian I do rely on beans for protein). Besides the hormones, the only other things I can think of are: I have a cold, and I’ve been eating more protein.

I’ve had 3 successful pregnancies. In my opinion, there is no difference between 95 and 120. What I would be more concerned with is severe lows and extreme highs. My A1c was consistently in the low 6’s with all 3 babies and they turned out just fine.

What I can suggest from experience is to test often, keep a journal of your numbers along with food and your weeks of gestation. Also, and this is the most important thing, stay in constant contact with your endo or CDE. Your blood sugars are going to change as baby grows.

More importantly, enjoy your pregnancy. Try really hard not to worry about your diabetes. So many exciting and beautiful things are going to happen to you and baby, embrace them.

Good luck and enjoy this time

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

and with meters considered accurate if they are within 20% of your actual blood sugar, 95 =120

It’s so hard not to worry about it - I’ve just read so much about the risks. I know I am higher risk, but I want to do the best I can! You are right, of course - it’s just hard to keep in mind.

@MarieB that’s a good point, too - I guess it’s more just looking for general trends, like @curlysarah said. My endo was so specific about the 95 or lower that I got kind of hung up on that…

the first trimester I had a HUGE drop in my TDD, and if I had a bg of 95, I was usually headed down into a low. I always felt much better physically and mentally if I was around 110.

If you feel that your endo’s goal of 95 is too strict, talk with him and see if you two can come up with a compromise. But I can tell you that a bg of 120 is NOTHING to be upset with. Sounds like you’re doing great.

1 Like

Ironically, this just came across my timeline today. It’s a good read and I think it might help you. http://theplaidjournal.com/index.php/CoM/issue/view/2

Good luck and enjoy