Fifty Ways To Lose Weight And Be Healthy

Number 1
Less on Your Plate

Number 2
Keep meat, poultry and fish portions to about 3 ounces (about the size of a deck of cards).

Number 3
Try not to snack while cooking or cleaning the kitchen.

Number 4
Try to eat meals and snacks at regular times every day.

Number 5
Make sure you eat breakfast everyday

Number 6
Use broth and cured meats (smoked turkey and turkey bacon) in small amounts. They are high in sodium. Low sodium broths are available in cans and in powdered form.

Number 7
Share a single dessert.

Number 8
When eating out, have a big vegetable salad, then split an entrée with a friend or have the other half wrapped to go.

Number 9
Stir fry, broil, or bake with non-stick spray or low-sodium broth and cook with less oil and butter.

Number 10
Drink a glass of water 10 minutes before your meal to take the edge off your hunger.

Number 11
Make healthy choices at fast food restaurants. Try grilled chicken (remove skin) instead of a cheeseburger. Skip the french fries and choose a salad.

Number 12
Listen to music while you eat instead of watching TV (people tend to eat more while watching TV).

Number 13
Eat slowly. It takes 20 minutes for your stomach to send a signal to your brain that you’re full.

Number 14
Eat a small meal

Number 15
Teaspoons, salad forks, or child-size utensils may help you take smaller bites and eat less.

Number 16
You do not have to cut out the foods you love to eat. Just cut down on your portion size and eat it less often.

Number 17
Make less food look like more by serving your meal on a salad or breakfast plate.

Number 18
Dance Away.

Number 19
Show your kids the dances you used to do when you were their age.

Number 20
Turn up the music and jam while doing household chores.

Number 21
Deliver a message in person to a co-worker instead of e-mailing.

Number 22
Take the stairs to your office or take the stairs as far as you can, and then take the elevator the rest of the way.

Number 23
Make fewer phone calls. Catch up with friends on a regular basis during a planned walk.

Number 24
March in place while you watch TV.

Number 25
Park as far away as possible from your favorite store at the mall.

Number 26
Select a physical activity video from the store or library.

Number 27
Get off of the bus one stop early and walk the rest of the way home or to work several times a week.

Number 28
Snack On a Veggie

Number 29
Try getting one new fruit or vegetable every time you grocery shop.

Number 30
Low-fat macaroni and cheese can be a main dish. Serve it with your favorite vegetable and a salad.

Number 31
Try eating foods from other countries. Many dishes contain more vegetables, whole grains and beans and less meat

Number 32
Cook with a mix of spices instead of salt.

Number 33
Find a water bottle you really like (from a church or club event, favorite sports team, etc.) and drink water from it wherever and whenever you can.

Number 34
Always keep a healthy snack with you, such as fresh fruit, handful of nuts, whole grain crackers.

Number 35
Choose veggie toppings like spinach, broccoli, and peppers for your pizza.

Number 36
Try different recipes for baking or broiling meat, chicken and fish.

Number 37
Try to choose foods with little or no added sugar.

Number 38
Gradually work your way down from whole milk to 2% milk until you’re drinking and cooking with fat-free (skim) or low-fat milk and milk products

Number 39
Eat foods made from whole-grains—such as whole wheat, brown rice, oats, and whole-grain corn—every day. Use whole-grain bread for toast and sandwiches; substitute brown rice for white rice for home-cooked meals and when dining out.

Number 40
Do not buy groceries on an empty stomach. Make a list before you go to the store.

Number 41
Read food labels. Choose foods low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.

Number 42
Fruits are colorful and make a welcome centerpiece for any table. Enjoy the company of family and friends while sharing a bowl of fruit.

Number 43
Slow down at snack time. Eating a bag of low-fat popcorn takes longer than eating a slice of cake. Peel and eat an orange instead of drinking orange juice.

Number 44
Try keeping a written record of what you eat for a week. It can help you see when you tend to overeat or eat foods high in fat or calories.’

Number 45
You can exhale

Number 46
Do not try to change your entire way of eating and physical activity all at once. Try one new activity or food a week.

Number 47
Find mellow ways to relax – try deep breathing, take an easy paced walk, or enjoy your favorite easy listening music.

Number 48
Give yourself a daily “pampering time”. Honor this time, whether its reading a book, taking a long bath, or meditating.

Number 49
Try not to eat out of boredom or frustration. If you are not hungry try to do something else, such as taking a long walk.

Number 50
Honor your health as your most precious gift.

WoW, thx Rich…I just read until No.10, will finish the rest later on…Darn I read No.50! Hope that I didn’t miss the sequence by jumping from 10 to 50!!! lol

Thx again

make me laugh:)…only thing that has ever worked for me is when I cut back on my TDD…meaning, eat less carb = feel better = want to actually move again = start losing weight slowly:) It is truly one of the hardest things to do and methods vary for different folks. PS: being ADD, I only got to number 3 and I never snack while cleaning the kitchen, that’s gross!

Those are great tips!

That was really goood, some great advice =)

My online Dad,

That was great! It reminded me of things I had to do and gave me some more pointers. I really took the time to read it cause whenever you got something to write I better read and learn.

This has to go in my file, or print it out and hang it IN MY KITCHEN. Others in the house can read it too. LOL Thanks your online daughter, Patti

Wonderful advise .Thanks Richard .
Did I read ???..home cooked meals prepared from scratch…teach your children the fifty ways