Finger pricking

ive always tested between 5 and 8 or so times a day. (1 year diabetic) recently ive noticed that this finger pricking business hurts way more. i changed the lancet but its the same. the setting is on the lowest, 1, which i lowered from 2. also, it bleeds for while after pricking.
anyone have this happen? what is this all about?

I have observed that pricking the pinkie pad hurts the least, and washing hands - massaging the fingers a bit before doing so softens the skin a bit...making it less painful :)

Are you pricking the pad of your finger or the side?

the side.

How often do you change the lancet ? I don't change the lancet very often, maybe 1x a month. Since I am the only one using the lancet, it doesn't need to be changed very much. Also, it bleeds for a while b/c you have gotten too much blood. All of the current test strips only use a tiny drop of blood. Also, try pricking a different finger each day of the week. That way your fingers get 7 days of rest from being poked. Hope this helps.

I switched to the delica lancets and they don't hurt like the others did...I am also one year diabetic

I second what Megan says about the Delica lancets. Before I started using them testing was a bone jarring experience. With the smaller lancet it's a least tolerable.

will try them when i get to usa for xmas-ta! are lancets without prescripiton there?

I believe they are over the counter, at least here in Illinois. I agree the Delica lancets are very easygoing.

Yes they are over the counter ; )

theyll be a stocking stuffer for myself then!

Yes delica is definately over the counter. And I agree the thinner lancet is a lot nicer. You may find you have to adjust the depth, but that may just be me. I have a hard time bleeding period, no matter what lancet device I use.

I use the palm of my hand below the pinkie

Before starting on a CGM my fingers looked like swiss cheese... all of them. I tested between 18 and 20 times a day for good control. I went from the defauly Freestyle lancing device (which sucks horribly) to the Accucehck multi-clix that I use now. Of course, after starting CGM therapy I'm only testing 3 or 4 times daily now :D

Still, I've had bleeders and splitters before. That's when you hit the lancet and get like 8 little drops of blood from the skin tearing open.. not fun.