First week on Pump with Saline

I’ll get all of the info tomorrow…I calculated about 22 units to 30 units a day I use. Well, at dinner time I had to give myself 30 units as the place my boyfriend took me for dinner was a dessert place! OH my god I was like uhhhh ok giving myself plenty of units of insulin to cover. Will check my sugar levels in about 1.5 hours to see how I did with that. I hope I didn’t give too much! but I knew the desserts would be a lot of carbs!

I may have to try a different tape…the one I use now doesn’t like to stay on very well!

I felt frustrated this weekend for sure! I was running around the event I went to and was like oh goodness reservoir needs a refill, darn infusion set got pulled out somehow, etc.

I picked up when sleeping to remember to pick it up before getting up! Haven’t forgotten that step yet…i think because I am use to getting my receiver for the dexcom with me to the bathroom.

I haven’t seen his videos yet. I’ll give the inset 30 a try as I am getting 3 boxes. If I have too many issues, I’ll try the straight set. I have a sample of that and have to use that one tomorrow until I can get my box from my mom. Arg.

awww…most of the time when i am shopping its the end of my shift and I have my coat on. Come summer time that will be a different story I guess

Hahah … I think I’m already there I’ve been waiting years for this! Guess I’ll have to wait and see what the trainer out here says. Thanks Amy =]

I am glad that you are having so much fun with your Ping. I got trained on my Ping yesterday and I am loving every minute of it.

Funny you should mention that - I haven’t dropped the pump in the toilet, but in the middle of the night, I went pee and decided to check my BG - guess who dropped the matching meter in the toilet? :frowning:

You are all making me feel better… I’ve dropped the dang thing so many times. But I’ve never had a problem from dropping a pump in 13 years. We all will learn the dangers in our area - hopefully with only one “lesson”. When my granddaughter was about 1 1/2 years old she was sitting on her mom’s lap. She kept saying “Ow mommy”. My daughter checked her and was asking what the problem was. When she picked the baby out, she figured out (quickly) that the tubing was wrapped around the baby’s leg and she pulled her site out. The baby looked at her - totally exasperated and said “OW MOMMY”… How fast they catch on :slight_smile:

welcome

I wished I am having more fun if I was actually on Insulin. Yes you read that right…I am sooo pissed. I have to wait till 3/3 now. They through so much damn information at you on the pump start that I forgot to keep a log for the week! I just want to use every single swear word possible but I can’t as there are kids here.

meter in toilet I haven’t done. But my tail oh yes! I haven’t dropped much in toilet but on the floor, ground, etc oh I have too many times. I’ve dropped my cell phone too many times in the last year I so need to get a new one.

oh god do I have something else to worry about when I’m around my niece and my 2 nephews?

Yikes, you took a bolus of the same amount that is your regular Total Daily Dose…all at once! Well I see you are posting today so I guess it turned out ok? Be careful!

nope…I’ll write a note to the group

Oh no!! I’m so sorry, Amy! I hate to sound like a over-serious grown up, though, but it isreally important to keep careful logs when you first start on the pump. How can you know if your settings are right if you don’t keep a log? I know that all the data is in the pump and the meter, but it’s a lot easier to see patterns if you have it all out in front of you. You know what you ate, the number of carbs, bolus you took, basal rates, and blood sugars: fasting, before and after meals and at bedtime! Or am I being old-fashioned? Can you see the patterns by looking at your pump? I know for me I need it all in front of me.

But despite my lecture, I really am sorry you have to wait. Can’t they give you a break and just download the info from your pump?

I was inpatient about the saline, vani, but was glad in the end I did it for 5 days before I started on insulin. It gave me time to learn how everything worked and then to start to program things in before I was actually dependent on it for my insulin. I think it was a good way to learn.

I’m still following the printed out guides, Kelly nearly 6 weeks in…lol. I find myself jumping ahead because I do know what to do now, but then I worry I’ll forget something. I think this week I’ll work on letting go of the crutch and only refer back if I get lost.

they did download the info from the pump. Wasn’t good enough for them sigh. I wished they did a separate packet with log papers! They put it in the booklet that they gave us with all the other information they gave us. Oh I am just frustrated as all heck now.

Oh, I totally understand. You were all set to go! Got through the first week’s difficulties and are ready for the next one! What a drag! Are they going to keep you on saline till then?