-----Flatliners Club-----

Heh. Not so much - at least not the 30-day one. THe 14- and 90-day ones, are somewhat similar, though the SD is higher on both those (24 for 14, 27 for 90 - vs. the SD of 13 and 97% TIR for the 7-day graph (89% and 86% for the other two). The 30-day period includes Passover - average was higher, too. Over 30 days, the SC was 30 and only 80% TIR almost all on the high end – which I know is still good, but certainly not as good as I know I can have and as I like.

14-day graph

30-day graph

90-day graph

3 Likes

I know this is terrible control compared to many here, but I’ve been using Fiasp for three weeks now and I’ve found it life-changing. I would never go back to any other insulin in my pump (in fact, I have a bunch of Apidra I need to use up, and I’m dreading it!). I feel like I’m in the kind of control I was in back in 2015. I’ll be very excited to see what my next A1c is.

The below graph is the past two weeks, and not only is it better control than I had with Apidra, but this is during the “difficult” two weeks, if you get my drift. :wink: My target range on the below graph, which is largely hidden, is 4.0 - 8.0 mmol/L (72 - 144 mg/dl). Dawn phenomenon is my main control issue here, something that I seem to have problems with for two weeks of every month, so it’s hard to adjust for.

4 Likes

Jen – I’m so happy you have access to Fiasp and the improved results you’re getting with it. It’s such a mind-body connection game with diabetes. When you can intentionally drive better results, it immediately makes your body feel better and then your mind and disposition get a boost, too. All good things!

I look forward to reading more about Fiasp from you and others.

You’re right. Just having this better diabetes control with somewhat less effort (no pre-bolusing!!!) has made my entire life feel better. Just today I was thinking of how happy and content I am with everything happening in my life right now. It all seems to feed off of and feed into everything else.

2 Likes

Been hoping for US approval for Fiasp… faster is (clearly) better! Great to see your good results!

I started the Whole30 program yesterday where for the next 30 days I will avoid all sugar, grains, dairy, and alcohol. This program is quite boot campish, but I need a reset on some bad habits and I think this will do the job.

Although I will eat carbs such as fruit and potatoes along with vegetables and meat, so far it is very good for my blood sugar. Please note that the only low of 68 was false as my meter said 89.

4 Likes

Great BG results, @Laddie! Whenever things start to spin out of control for me, I use intermittent fasting as my go-to secret weapon.

I’d sure like to read more updates from you as you go through the Whole30 program. :+1:

1 Like

Nice @Laddie - not that different than the diet approach I did last year - except for the potatoes that I had to skip and the alcohol, which I did not :slight_smile: - Great way to reset. Been looking for a bit of a ‘reset’ or weight-loss “jumpstart” myself (with little luck…) Nice to see numbers like that, though!

1 Like

Ah, and ironically after “bragging” in this thread, diabetes decided to show my who’s really boss … I’ve spent the past 16 hours stuck at 11 - 17 mmol/L (200 - 300 mg/do). Basal rate increases, ratio decreases, aggressive corrections, intramuscular injections, infusion set changes haven’t made a dent. I’ll concede defeat for today and plan to take a giant rage bolus when I get home. Tomorrow will hopefully be back on track.

5 Likes

So I have a question, partly borne of curiosity and partly borne of sheer frustration.

Do those of you who manage these amazing flatlines for days on end ever deal with random, persistent, extreme highs for days on end that just will not come down?

I feel like you all must not. The only highs I ever see posted about in this thread are highs caused by meals or by vacations and the like, and they are all highs that come down within hours.

If you do, I think it would be useful to discuss strategies for breaking persistent highs that last for days on end, or highs that come and go with normal blood sugars in between.

I was high for most of the day yesterday. I increased basal rates, decreased ratios, gave injections, changed sites, went for walks. Finally in the evening I came down only to wake up this morning high again. More basal adjustments (yet three or four nights ago I woke up with a perfect flatline overnight…?). Came dwon after breakfast and even ran borderline low for several hours, so I thought I finally had my basals set right (having increased by 0.4 units an hour over the previous 24 hours). Then this evening, without eating anything, it’s been another six hours of highs, with several corrections, two injections, and a site change later only bringing me down to 10.5 mmol/L (189 mg/dl) so far. I mean, I feel like I’m being aggressive, but then I think of others on this site who don’t seem to go through this (at least not that’s been posted about) and I feel like I’m not being aggressive enough. Yet, I don’t want to go low, and knowing my body this will all end just as quickly as it began in an indeterminate amount of time!

When I find myself in these situations I honestly sit and wonder how those of you who post with 90-100% of your readings in range prevent this type of thing from happening.

1 Like

You’re right about my experience, Jen. I seldom go high and stay there for days at a time. Most of my high events are limited to hours; some of the bad ones endure for eight hours or more. I think you’re up against a tougher diabetes than I am.

You’re fighting back with many of the same tactics I would use if faced with the same high blood glucose tenacity. It’s like you have an especially stubborn form of insulin resistance. One thing I’ve used to break down more of the garden variety insulin resistance is intermittent fasting.

I do believe, however, that your persistent effort to keep your diabetes in check does matter for your health. Your recent reports of using Fiasp with good results at least gives you another tool to use.

I’m sorry. I don’t have much to offer you – except understanding.

1 Like

From reading a lot of your posts you have other issues your body is dealing with (allergies). Makes me wonder if it might be related to the overall “stress” your body is dealing with and reacting to? Sorry your having these struggles.

You could be right about it being “stress” from allergies other autoimmune conditions. Yesterday and overnight last night were back to my normal (nice flatline overnight). So I can only conclude that it was some combination of needing increased pump settings and as well as likely a site issue. Very frustrating when things like that happen on occasion, even more so when they happen on a regular basis as they do for me.

1 Like

If only every night could be like this! Woke up this morning feeling great.

5 Likes

Nice! Did you treat the lows or just ride through them?

No treatment since tI wasn’t really dropping, just flatlining near my low limit.

I’m back to eating moderately low carb, so that’s helping as well.

1 Like

I usually do the same when they’re like that, though occasionally, I’ll set a 0 temp basal to let it rise a bit - really an on-the-fly call and, at 1-3am like yours was, often not a call I can necessarily explain later! :wink:

I find temp basals are much too slow to have an impact on lows. Though with Fiasp it would be interesting. I have to be careful about turning basal off completely, though…it’s sooooo easy to accidentally send my blood sugar right through the target range and end up high. Difficult balance to get when half asleep, for sure. Lately I’ve been waking up every night once or twice to treat highs or lows, and last night I didn’t even wake up, which was sooo nice!

I keep those 0 temp basals to 60-90min. Any more and up, up, up I go!!

I’ve found if I go more than about 30 minutes with a 0% basal that I have a tendency to go too high. It’s the main reason I can’t just disconnect my pump when I swim for an hour without shooting up to 300 mg/dl with high ketones after finishing. And I figured out that part of my reason for post-breakfast spiking was the half hour I spend disconnected for my shower. Sometimes, if I’m running really low for hours on end I will suspend my pump for an hour out of desperation, and I have used suspending for an hour as a strategy to “use up” insulin so that I don’t have to eat as much if I notice that I’m dropping rapidly (but not yet low) with a lot of insulin on board. But for me I think doing it for the borderline lows that aren’t really dropping would be too much.

1 Like