Flu shot time of year

I guess I’m the odd man out when it comes to the flu shot. I just had the pneumonia vaccine a few months ago. It was actually a booster from the older version that I had nearly 5 years ago and the new version is supposed to provide lifetime immunity. I had researched the side effects beforehand and had to instruct the pharmacist where to inject it to avoid the risk of frozen shoulder (it occurs often enough with the pneumonia vax that there may be a link). Anyway, when it comes to the flu shot, I generally abstain. I have not had a flu shot for the past forty years. But I also have not had the flu either during that same time period. I also don’t normally catch colds. I learned back in the sixties (in actual field trials) that the flu is spread primarily by contact (touch), not aerosol (through the air). I just make sure that I wash my hands frequently prior to touching sensitive part of my body including face, lips, nose, mouth and other “sensitive” body parts. People have gotten sick all around me but I seem to be have natural immunity by simply observing my frequent hand washing practice. This year is not going to change anything and I will continue to avoid getting a flu shot and, probably (based on a forty plus years of track history), also avoid getting the flu itself.

2 Likes

Flu is hitting here hard. But so far I am staying well. Had my flu and pneumonia shots. How have you been. Nancy

So far, so good. I’ve heard many reports in my area of flu cases characterized by a hacking cough that lasts for weeks. I’ve also read that this year’s vaccine formulation missed the mark and only provided about ten or fifteen percent protection. The point has also been made that even this mis-targeted vaccine can still soften and possibly shorten the flu duration.

Aside from a cold, I haven’t been sick this year. Severe allergies are what are killing me at the moment.

In addition to the flue shot I wash hands frequently and wipe down public surfaces (such as seats on planes), which I think helps me avoid getting sick.

I have also read that this season’s flu vaccine effectiveness is significantly lower then past years.

However with the CDC continuing to say the best prevention is to STILL get the flu shot makes me question how much SCIENCE is behind this recommendation as opposed to how much PR (or money).

I feel at this point the best way to prevent the flu:

• Hand Washing (properly)
  • In public, keep hands away from face
  • Stay hydrated (mucous membranes provide better protection then dehydrated membranes)
  • Get a proper amount of sleep

Strictly my personal opinion.

It doesn’t help that people also tend to go to work even while sick, even healthcare professionals who should know better. I saw a doctor today who spent the whole appointment sniffling and coughing. Now, I’m having terrible allergies at the moment and have the same symptoms even though I’m not sick, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt… But he wouldn’t be the first doctor I’ve seen who’s been working despite having a cold. Not to mention all the non-healthcare people who come to work with coughs and even fevers!!

@Jen
OMG !!!
Don’t get me started.

Nothing worse then having a coworker who is clearly dripping with the flu and stating how proud they are that they managed to make it in to work.

I have to shut my mouth and walk away so I don’t yell something stupid and get myself fired.

1 Like

I was supose to have the flu shot this year, my grandma took an appointment for both of us, but the day we went, I had a sore troath and a runny nose, the nurse told me to wait until I wad fine to get my shot, so I waited until it got away but i forgot to take another appointment for it. So far I havent been sick at all and my grandma have been sick 2 times this winter… I usually get it, but I was kinda happy to avoid it this year…

And did you know we are supose to have the flu shot 2 times a year? Because its only good for 6month or something like that?

At one of the hospital networks in my city, nurses and other staff are given something like 5 sick days all year, and if you call out on a single weekend shift day, it counts as two sick days. So if someone was sick and scheduled to work the weekend shifts and called out, that would be most of their sick days for the whole year. Once sick days are used up, people can get fired for calling out on shifts last minute. So plenty of health professionals maybe do know better and would love to stay home when sick, but they just aren’t allowed to essentially. It’s really screwed up, and a policy that’s pretty much guaranteed to spread infections.

1 Like

Are healthcare workers in the US not unionized? Here I believe most nurses and other healthcare professionals are part of unions, and I’d be surprised if they only had five sick days or could get fired for calling in sick. I could be wrong, though…

Only 18% of nurses in the US occupy union positions. The amount of all of US labor represented by a union is under 12%. Union jobs in the US economy have fallen steadily since the 1970s.

1 Like

I am in fact referring to unionized nurses, though not all nurses are unionized. It may be more than 5 days, but it’s something close to that 5, 7, something like that. Not more than 10. It was a huge deal when that policy change was enacted, and the union fought it unsuccessfully. Full time employees are still eligible for medical leave if they need more time off (but that has its own issues), but those who are per diem are indeed at risk of just being fired. Unions only protect you so much.

My ex was a per diem worker on a psych inpatient unit, and she broke a bone her hand, and had her cast cut off prematurely, because she would not have been allowed to work with the cast (she has to be able to restrain patients if need be), but couldn’t afford any more sick days or risk being fired. It was really upsetting.

I got the flu shot this year, and I also got the nasty influenza (think Doc said it was H1N3) that was going around week before Christmas. Absolutely floored me for the better part of a month, and we had some folks die here as well (so I was fortunate). I get the flu shot every year, and occasionally I get the flu. So, why do I get the flu shot?

Because it’s the right thing to do. Even if I manage to get the flu, I would have gotten it whether I had the vaccination or not. If I do not get the flu due to the vaccination (which there is no way to determine), then I’ve helped to protect the sick(er), weak, and infirm in my community. I’m around enough children, college-age students, and older folk on a regular basis (office on campus in a college town) that I have to do my part to increase herd immunity.

Feeling poorly for a few days after a vaccination is a small price to pay for reducing the chances of truly pandemic outbreaks.

1 Like

+1.

1 Like