Flu Vaccine

Just because someone gets a vaccine and then gets ill with something else, it does not mean that the flu shot caused the subsequent illness. People have a tendency to associate anything that happens after a flu vaccine to the flu vaccine, when the flu vaccine has nothing to do with it. Just because two things happen in sequence does not mean that one caused the other.

I have and havent for years on and off. like you, I get sick when I get it and I've gotten sick when i dont. I have had docs who tell me I need to or im "putting my life on the line", others who say, "eh, you can or not, it won't change much." so like you i think it's a great question.

I never get a flu shot. Everyone else at work always did and I was the only one who never got the flu.

Uh...this is a blog.

And I don't think PWD can be considered "healthy adults" as in those without a chronic condition.

In the U.S., at least, there are no longer "fully vaccinated Populations" as many parents never heard that the autism connection scare was totally discredited and refuse to vaccinate their children.

hahaha!

I consider myself healthy too.

I always get a flu shot because 3 years ago I got h1n1, just the year before it was the "in " thing to get.

I felt awful and my sugars were not right for a week. It took me 2 weeks before I could work. I would be fasting for 12 hours because I couldn't eat. and somehow my sugars were in the 200s most of the time.
I was afraid to bolus more then 2 units when I was not eating.
I will get every flu shot avail to me at this point.

Well I thought I was just imagining being sick, the doc even says it doesn't affect people, so now I know I'm not the only one. My bg go up to and I feel like I've been hit by a bus.

And let me guess....the study also found that those injected with the flu vaccine had their movements tracked by the government, right? These findings do not promote a true understanding of how the influenza vaccine works. Each year, the influenza vaccine is developed based on the prevalent strains of flu going around. If you get a vaccine in a given year, you're only protected against several strains, not EVERY strain. You can still contract different strains of influenza. Also, not everyone develops antibodies to every vaccine. For example, I can get the MMR vaccine and might develop sufficient antibodies to measles and mumps, but not to rubella. This is because many of us are walking around with little glitches in our immune system that prevent all components of a vaccine from "taking." This is one area where herd immunity comes in - you need a critical mass getting a vaccine for it to offer community protection.

Again, we are sadly unaware of just how amazing vaccines are because we've never lived through horrific outbreaks of measles, smallpox, and polio. As your parents what they had to go through when polio was running rampant through communities. I've heard stories from my relatives and it's chilling. In the early part of the 20th century, many parents were desperate for ANYTHING to protect their children against the ravages of polio. We don't understand this because most of us have NEVER lived through all that. We never saw people dropping dead from smallpox because the vaccine was successful and the people who implemented the smallpox eradication effort worked like mad to make eradication possible.

Everything in life is a risk - walking out your front door, getting in a car, etc. But sometimes the risk of doing something is worth it.

Sadly, I fear that it's going to take a massive outbreak of measles and pertussis (which we're already on our way to having) for people to understand the value of vaccines.

Oh, don't forget that HEALTHY people die from influenza every year. You don't have to be someone with a chronic condition to suffer severe complications, including death, from the flu.

Me too, I think my immune system is overactive, I have had all sorts of autoimmune problems. BUT I am never sick from communicable diseases. I've always been that way. So, no flu shot.

Whether you consider yourself "healthy" or not , the simple facts, according to the CDC are:

People with diabetes are about three times more likely to die with flu and pneumonia than people without diabetes. That means that each year, 10,000 to 30,000 people with diabetes die with complications of the flu and pneumonia. During flu epidemics, people with diabetes are six times more likely to be hospitalized than people without diabetes, and their death rates may increase 5 to 15 percent. This risk is particularly high when additional risk factors such as cardiovascular disease and kidney disease are present.
A pneumococcal shot and an annual flu shot could prevent complications and death associated with pneumonia and the flu. Yet about half of adults with diabetes do not get a simple, safe flu shot and only one third of adults with diabetes are immunized against pneumococcal pneumonia. Worse yet, pneumococcal disease has become more resistant to penicillin and other drugs, making treatment more difficult. Aggressive efforts need to be taken to increase influenza and pneumococcal immunization levels among people with diabetes to decrease the number of preventable flu and pneumonia-related deaths.

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/projects/pdfs/hpNewsletter.pdf

And another study in Diabetes Care that showed that type 1 and type 2 diabetes increase the risk of a pneumonia hospitalization and the risk was dramatically greater with A1C > 9 versus A1c < 7.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/31/8/1541.abstract?sid=7ce4fd56-19c4-4985-9cdb-61ab998d9f4b

For myself, I have weighed the pros and cons and decided to get both.

Thank you. Also, it's important to note that hospitalization is not without risk. Anyone admitted to the hospital runs the risk of contracting a hospital-acquired infection (HAI). HAIs are the most common complication of hospital care and are one of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States, accounting for an estimated 1.7 million infections and 99,000 associated deaths in 2002. HAIs cost an estimated $28 to $33 BILLION per year in health care costs (Source: AHRQ).

All these risks - risk of contracting flu, risk of developing complications, risk of being hospitalized, risk of contracting HAI while hospitalized - certainly add up.

Antibiotic resistance (mentioned in the above post) is also a HUGE concern. We are running out of antibiotics to treat many infections, including those secondary infections you can develop when you contract the flu. This is beyond frightening and the best thing you can do for now is to do whatever you can to PREVENT those secondary infections from developing. And getting the flu and pneumococcal vaccines is one way to do that.

from a BC , Canada person , who knows Researcher , copied and pasted : This was interesting and, as I know Danuta and respect her she may be on to something., However, she does still urge people to get the flu shot. The H1N1 is a strain of flu virus that is in the vaccine. What she is saying is that those who got the vaccine and subsequently got the flu were sicker than those who did not get the vaccine. This is something they will definitely be looking at. One theory is that the vaccine sensitized people to the strain so that when they actually were exposed to the wild virus their bodies had a more immediate and aggressive immune response which could intensify the symptoms.

every year, and make hubby get it too, for me & for the grandchildren, they don't need it either.

I won't take the chance of getting the flu ever again, with diabetes it is like playing with fire.

I have had pnuemonia 3 times in last few yrs, so pnumeonia shot is a must now, my doc said my body gets weaker everything I have it. Why chance it if the vaccine is available and safe?

I got mine 3 weeks ago. I felt sick for two weeks and now I have a bad cold and I’m sick again. I have not had any vaccinations since I was a child. I’m thinking twice about getting more. I never get the flu anymore.

Yes. They always send a reminder to me. It doesn't hurt and I've had no side effects from it.

I had the same reaction Jen.

My mom used to INSIST I get flu shots every year. I always got sick. Since being an adult and making those decisions for myself, I've stopped getting them, and I've also stopped getting sick.

I have not really had the flu for quite some time. But they will be giving out free flu shots at my office next week and I plan on getting one. Maybe I'll get the flu shot flu and get a sick day.

I have for many years skipped the flu vaccine, and have been just fine. Only reason why I bother now is working in health care if I choose NOT too, if we go into a high flu alert, I have to wear a trendy mask, lol NOT.