Food Kids will eat

So as some of you know we are new to the T1D LADA family. My husband was diagnose Feb 25th. We seem to be adjusting slowly, but well. My issue that I’m having now is that I don’t want to have to cook 2 different meals for dinner each night. My kiddos are very much open to new foods but I’m still struggling with low carb foods they are willing to eat. I’ve been doing an ok job so far, I think, with making things like, mac and cheese to cater to them somewhat, but I don’t want to rely on that fully because it’s not that healthy even home made like I do it. Tonight I made asparagus with cherry tomatoes, sauteed in butter as a side dish. The main course was shrimp, with zucchini, carrot, onion, and potato “noodles”. My daughter(8) made a fruit salad that my husband didn’t eat. The only issue is that my son (5) didn’t want anything to do with the “noodles” and the asparagus with tomatoes. He literally just ate the shrimp :joy: at least he ate something.

In any case are there any kid friendly diabetes friendly recipes I could try?

Go to www.ditchthecarbs.com to start and there are many others. Try some dishes like Fat Head Pizze, lemon cheesecake, and avocado chocolate mousse. I bet you can change their minds.

Try Zoodles - Most kids love those - see below

2 Likes

Wonderful! Thank you so much. I really appreciate the recipes.

You are very welcome - If you need more sources or ideas best send me a private message as I don’t want to pollute this board with recipes and links to low carb food websites.

1 Like

Will do!

I mostly eat some protein (chops/steak/eggs/fish) with vegetables. The non low carb members of the family can have their white stuff (potato, rice, pasta) and the diabetic members can have mashed cauliflower.

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with Pastelpainter. Protein, with my emphasis on eggs, fish, and chicken baked or fried with no breading, veggie and a non low carb potato, rice, or whatever for the non-DMers. I never cooked any special low carb versions of dishes. Well, maybe subbing grated cheese for bread crumbs in the meatloaf. I ate what I considered appropriate for me. The rest of the family ate what they wanted. And I always made sure that all colors were represented on our plates not at once but over a week or so. Of course, the colors were in the veggies that included a great variety. That way, they got a properly balanced diet.

2 Likes

I developed Type 1 when I was 20 which was nearly 60 years ago. At that time, I decided that diabetes was not going to interfere with my life. I have always eaten exactly what I want and just adjusted the insulin. My A1C averages 6.5. Must admit that CGM and pump make it easier than a glass syringe and Testape but over the years only my very close friends knew that I had diabetes and that is the way I like it.

1 Like

I agree with you 100%. Low carbs is not a treatment or requirement for Diabetes, as long as you adjust your insulin appropriately. I use CGM & an insulin pump as well, and as long as I can get a good estimate on how many carbs I am eating, I can eat however many (or few) carbs as I want (as long as it’s a healthy amount, but “a healthy amount” is not affected by the Diabetes). There is no need to torture yourself or your friends or family by depriving yourselves of carbs, just do the appropriate treatment for however many you decide to have.

2 Likes