Freakishly low BGs every single morning,now 15wks pregnant

As I mentioned in the title of this post, I am currently 15 weeks and 4 days pregnant. This is my first pregnancy. For the last 6 consecutive mornings I’ve been having low BGs no matter what I do. I always wake up around 8-9am with a 50 staring at me…I have a pump and I’ve been reducing my basal rates for the last three days by 0,05 or 0,10 decrements. I always wake up 3-4 times at night to try to catch the low before it actually happens. No matter what I do, no matter what I eat, I keep waking up low before breakfast… Arghh, it is sooo frustrating. I wake up with zombie brain and I hate it! I thought about using a reduced temp basal, but I’m afraid I’ll wake up high…

Any of you ladies ever experienced something like that?

yes, it happens. Talk to your endo. My endo made some changes to earlier basals which seemed to help me a lot. For the first trimester and even now (I’m 17 weeks) I have constantly changed my basals. For me it’s been very strange because sometimes I’m battling lows, change my basals, everything is fine for a few days, then I get a random high and I need to go changing my basals all over again. I’ve accepted this as the nature of being pregnant. Perfection is not really possible as a type1 diabetic, the key is constant monitoring.

Thanks for the reply!

I actually did not have to make a lot of adjustments to my basals up until recently. I guess I should be thankful the insulin resistance hasn’t reared its ugly head yet…I’m surprised though, because normally the dawn phenomenon acts up around 5-7 am (for me at least). Is it normal to stop having insulin resistance in the morning during pregnancy?

I suffered the same issue but for weeks upon weeks. All the way to week 21.

My lows would start around 5am and what worked for me, (outside of drinking a Litre of orange juice through-out the night and constantly scaling back on my basals), was to make sure to have a high protein snack with some carbs before bed. As well, adjusting my basal two hours prior to the lows. I had to do this every 2-3 days for all of the first trimester and half of my second trimester. I literally was on next to nothing for basals at night. I thought the baby had cured my 22 years of T1 Diabetes :slight_smile:

Hang-on tight though once you hit the insulin resistance! It can be a real challenge.

best of luck!

What Desdemona says. The lows are weird, the whole body is weird while pregnant :slight_smile: It is nice to have to deal with lows better than highs though, I think. I’m kind of dreading the insulin resistance. I’m hoping to be like Desdemona and hold out until I’m into the 20s :slight_smile:

Thank you, Desdemona!

I was starting to feel like a freak… No one seemed to have experienced something similar… I’ll try the protein snack before bed… I wish the same happened to me throughout the day too…Now, THAT would be a cure :slight_smile:

I found in my first pregnancy that I would wake up around 60 and start to rise with my morning coffee and morning hormones. By breakfast, without treating, I’d be around 90, so I just let it be. But no, you’re not crazy.