Freestyle Libre 3

I was finally able to solve this problem by going into my iPhone Settings, scrolling down to “Libre 3” app, and clicking on “Allow Libre 3 to access Bluetooth”. I’ll have to say, it’s nice to not have to scan for a BG reading anymore. :smiley:

1 Like

When you get a “batch” of 3 Libre 3 sensors at one time, do you save extra money?
I’m currently getting just two at a time from Walgreens – $78.58. Wonder if getting more at one time would cost less. I know that one sensor costs $44 – so there’s a savings of $10 right there by getting 2 at a time.

From the Libre 3 FAQs (USA):

“No other devices are required besides the sensor and app on a compatible smartphone* for routine diabetes management. The FreeStyle Libre 3 System does not currently include a reader with a built-in blood glucose meter. Under conditions where blood glucose testing is required, any blood glucose meter system can be used.”

More:

Maybe it will be different in the US, but in Germany they first release Libre 3 as app-only (first only iOS, then months later adding the Android app). About a year after Libre 3 had been available, they made a reader available.

I assume it will be the same in other countries, but I guess it could always be app-only in the US.

(emphasis mine)

This makes me think a reader will eventually be available in the US as it is in Germany.

1 Like

I’m in Germany so my experience will be totally different to those in the US.

In case anyone in Germany is looking for this info, I send a prescription every quarter to Abbot and Abbott ships me a batch of 7 sensors for the quarter. They’re covered by insurance (AOK BW) and each batch costs me €30 (€5/sensor plus one freebie).

The first batch of Libre 3s included the reader, just like it did for my first Libre 2 batch, at no extra cost.

1 Like

@dogramma No extra discounts for quantity that I am aware of. I used to pick up 2 but now pick up 4 LIbre at once because it’s easier… I used to get them through Walgreens, then Walgreens mail order and now pick them up at Costco. I don’t know about the single price as I don’t think I’ve ever bought just one. But there has been no difference in price between 2 or 4. Of course I couldn’t tell you for sure about Walgreens because I haven’t bought any there for a few years since I am now using Costco.

My insurance/ Medicare covers it all every three months for me. I am very thankful. I asked for it for years. Nancy 50

1 Like

So, Finn – does your reader automatically read and display blood glucose level every minute without swiping like the app does?

Correct. I press the home button on the reader and it displays my blood sugar. No swiping needed.

2 Likes

I have been using a Free Style Libre 2 for some months. I love the ease of it compared to finger sticks but I’m discouraged about the accuracy of it. My ins isn’t paying for it since I’m not using insulin.
I got on this site to ask if a Dexcom cgm would be a better choice. I’m also thinking about continuing my diet and exercise and taking a break from glucose checking for a while. My last A1c was 6.2. Any thoughts?

1 Like

The Dexcom G7 is more similar to Libre, and in process of rolling out by country. Maybe wait for that?

https://diatribe.org/dexcom-g7-global-release?

Dexcom is a lot more expensive. Some people find it is very accurate for them. You may be able to get a sample from your doc to try. I found libre 2 was about the same as dex me. And no calibration. I have problems with accuracy so I never bolus off dex. But I can’t function without cgm. I am having a lot of stress from the alarms now so I turn off my phone a lot for dex and shuggah but somehow they have commandeered my ability to shut off all notifications so sometimes they still seem to beep when I shut off critical alerts and everything else. These people need to realize they should not do that.

Mydoctor kept me on the Libre 2, I am fine with this. 91% inrange.Love it!Nancy50