FreeStyle Test Strip Update

I just did a test with the old strip and the new strip from the same blood sample. The old test strip read 77 and the new strip read 75.

I just ran into the local omnipod rep at the joslin diabetes center in connecticut. I asked him about the test strip issue. He said they are in fact in fda approval. He said to set the meter at 16 for all the freestyle lite strips and leave it there. They are okay to use.

Well, Steve, I dont know about you but at 75 I need something to eat…so go EAT!!!

Just to be clear, Freestyle Lite strips ARE NOT compatible with regular Freestyle (used to be called “Flash”) meters, including the one in your OmniPod PDM. Freestyle Lite is an non-coding meter, and its strips don’t work in “regular” Freestyle meters.

This discussion is about the new style of Freestyle strips, not Freestlye Lite strips.

My bad. You are correct.

Can anyone confirm what the color is of the vial that the new regular freestyle strips comes in? I haven’t been able to see any “in hand” to know if there’s a difference.

Here’s the latest “clarification” that Abbott has posted regarding the usage and “compatibility” of both new types of strips…

Anyone who can look at the strip design on both of those boxes and spot the difference wins $10 lol…I mean, why would they make two “different” types of strips that look exactly the same so that there is no discernible difference (compared to old freestyle vs old freestyle lite strips, that were not only marked differently on the outside but also had different circuitry inside)?? Having two different strips that “operate differently” or “aren’t compatible” but also have no evident difference in appearance seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I know if I made a product like this I wouldn’t do that. And Abbott has been around long enough to know that would be a bad idea too. If someone happens to have access to both new types of strips, I’d be willing to reimburse at a dollar a strip for you to split open one of each of them and take a picture for comparison purposes.

UPDATE:
I talked to our local Abbott rep today and she happens to be T1 and uses an OmniPod besides. She provided some good background on the strip situation and why Abbott thinks the new strips are more accurate. My understanding is that the variability between the new strips and the clinical meter (that hospitals and doctors use) is much tighter. She is now taking on a personal objective to try and resolve all the confusion. Will provide an update when I hear more.

Now we just need to get Insult through the FDA approval process. Local Insulet Clincial Manager says she has been told that the Company is in the “final stages” of approval from the FDA. No telling how long that takes.

The box looks generally the same but has “new” and a circle around the new ZipWick in the picture. The vials have an orange/yellow label.

You mean like this?

btw that is a vial of the new freestyle lite strips.

And I meant the difference between the two new types of strips. The strips on the front of the boxes look exactly the same, no?

About a month ago, I got the new strips. To be sure they worked, I tested them and then compared my BS readings to my OneTouch, and I got similar results (within 5-10 points). I really like the new strips, they are easier to use because of how they are designed.

Check out thr “Promise Program” for the test strips. You can find it on line. this program save me 50$ monthly!

The Promis Program by Abbott for Test strips saves you a lot of money. Call 866-246-2683 and they can help! Good luck! BTW, it saves me $450 monthly!

yep, those are the new version of the old strip.

FURTHER UPDATE 10/22/2010
Just talked again to our local Abbott rep who is great. She spoke with her supervisor who spoke with one of the chief technical folks at Corporate. Abbott is working with Insulet on the FDA approval. Nobody has any idea when the new version of the FreeStyle strips will be approved.

Abbott has committed to continue manufacturing the older version of the strips until the new version is approved for the OmniPod. Abbott is trying to resolve the issue of pharmacies not having the old version of the strip.

In my case at least, they have agreed to exchange the new version of the FreeStyle strips for the old ones in the mean time.

Abbott has claimed that the new strips use a different chemical approach to testing the blood that is more accurate so the new strips sound like they are worth the wait. I know lots of people are doing meter-to-meter testing but that really isn’t quite the same as doing a controlled study against a formal standard. However, based on Abbott’s story, it does sound like the strips are going to be just fine and the variances people are seeing are related to other issues or within the allowed deviation. Of course, that is what the FDA review is all about.

I give Abbott credit for at least finally making an effort to help. Still wish Insulet would be a little more pro-active like put something on their website, reach out to customers, etc.