G5 and weather interference

I realize this may truly be a goofy question, but I don’t understand Bluetooth enough to know this answer.

Would a severe electrical storm affect the signal from the transmitter?

We had a pretty intense storm last night, and I don’t know if was just a coincidence or related…but I lost signal several times. I haven’t had this issue, so I found it odd.

Just curious :slight_smile:

hmmm good question. I’ve never really noticed an issue during an intense storm (and we’ve had a few recently in the Mid Atlantic region).

no issue here in Indiana.

It is possible.

When Bluetooth detects interference on one channel, it can hop to another channel to try to avoid the interference. During this hop, the signal may be degraded or temporarily blocked. This interference can be caused by microwaves, many wireless devices being used in the same area, even different devices with motors (like vacuums or mixers). An electrical storm could cause it.

It could also be because you had your receiver on the opposite side of your body (for example). Bluetooth will not travel through the body, so you will see signal loss if you have the receiver in your right rear pocket, and the transmitter is on your left front stomach area.

Bluetooth radio transmissions and all radio frequency communications are composed of elctro-magnetic waves. Lighting emits huge elctro-magnetic waves across a wide frequency spectrum. It can interfere with bluetooth and other radio frequency waves. It could inject enough noise into the bluetooth signal to cause it to be misread or discarded by the receiver.

Thanks for all the insight and opinion on this!

It was certainly quite the storm as Colorado can provide. My little sheltie was not a fan…he certainly told the thunder off several times.

1 Like