Gastroparesis flare up

Watching my sensor food and drink is only taking 15 minutes to start rising and when it does it goes up fast with 1 or 2 arrows. I was wondering as long as I am not low if I should prebolus as it rising too quickly. I had 27 carbs with half of it being liquid.

It all depends on context. I find if I’m low normal when I dose, I can get away without much prebolus time. Alternately, if I’m in the middle of my target range, I might delay the carbs, especially the liquid ones until I’ve eaten the other slower to absorb food items that are protein and fat.

It works best for me when I can time the food rise and the insulin drop to coincide with each other. When these two forces battle to a draw, that’s ideal. This is the art of insulin dosing and it’s custom for you. Good luck.

I am now thinking that my gp has resolved itself. I did some twists for about 10 minutes and when I tested my bs was 10.2mmol. At 6pm it was 12.0mmol and at 6: 30 it was 10.2 with 1.20 units on board. My supper consisted of 1 baked potato, 1 cup of broth 1/3 cup sweetlets and an arrowroot cookie. Food seems do be getting in at 15minutes the same amount of time as the time lag on dexcom. Help!

You should probably try glucose gel but keep it in your mouth for a while so that it will absorb through the membranes in your mouth. It will work because your body will not have to process it down from sugar into glucose. It will just absorb.

I am not having any spikes after most of my bolus is gone. My bloodsugars seem to be doing a normal rise when eating and then it slowly comes down. I have changed the way I eat with my biggest meal at around noon. I eat a low carb supper. That was where I was having alot of postprandial highs. I am still eating only 3 meals a day but I am choosing foods that are easy to digest. It doesn’t matter to me if I have to eat differently, just as long as my bloodsugars are controlled. I think this is one of the best decisions I have made.

I am not sure if I was dealing with gastroparesis or not. I was mainly going by the graph on my dexcom. For example: when my bloodsugar would rise it would stay at around the same number for about 1.5 to 2 hours. I am not having the rise a few hours after eating. I am eating small meals and walking after eating. I am going to see my diabetes educator so she can have a look at my numbers.

So glad that you are doing better Dee.

I hope so. My bloodsugars were going higher a few hours after eating. One evening I kept correcting and it wasn’t going down, then at 9pm it suddenly started going down and I had to have a snack. My symptoms were like the last time I had a flare up. My molars were sore, and I wasn’t sleeping I was feeling full and bloated. I am usually brittle so maybe some of the higher blood sugars were me just being brittle. For the week last 2 weeks dexcom clarity says my average is 7.5mmol 2.0 standard deviation and I am on target 77% of the time.

1 Like

I posted a comment a few days ago asking about medications, only because I had GP about 10 years ago and a Dr. prescribed metoclopramide (Reglan), which seemed to help a little, but induced a depression that left me fighting to stay awake (and did nothing for he GP). When I stopped the Reglan, and started drinking at least 2 liters of water and eating 20 grams fiber a day, both the depression and GP went away.
On the highs, I endorse the use of glucose (I use the tabs, not the gel) rather than complex disaccharide like jelly beans or cookies since the latter often take at least an hour to metabolize - and can lead to highs BG levels.