Getting it off my chest

My son's dx was extremely difficult for me. To say I didn't take it well is an understatement. I have wanted to write a book about it for a long time and I finally did it! I am not a professional. I did this mostly for the therapeutic effect for myself. This is not a plug for my book. It's more a "do what makes you feel good and helps you cope" post. The relief I feel having put my feelings and experiences to paper is wonderful. Thanks for listening :)

http://www.amazon.com/Our-Story-Diabetes-Joined-Family-ebook/dp/B00T7ALA76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424140518&sr=8-1&keywords=our+story+%3A+life+after+type+1+diabetes

Thanks for sharing.

I so understand that. It was very difficult for me when my daughter got Type 1 at 12. The guilt can bring such a heaviness and sadness. It may seen silly but I grieved for the loss of her pancreas .It took some time for me to figure out that was what I was doing. The worry of what might happen because of diabetes ..on and on. Then while a world of emotions are hitting you, You as the parent are to put on the best face for your childs sake. They are the ones who are going through this you remind yourself. Then the flood of info is sent your way and trying to help your child only to worry you are falling short ..I remember just wanting to go back in time before type 1 came and just wanting to stop time and live there. Life goes on and should, so we push on..I have always thought a psychologist should enter along with a doctor to help families deal with the first and maybe all yrs dealing with this. This is why I am thankful for Tud. I found another support group Type One Nation then Tud.. Cried my eyes out, laughed my head off at members who made me act so darn silly,was healing.. I found the glue here that held me together with others, that had much more strength than I ever had . Members that had type 1 ,here they were !! ...Tons of them and they were my light for a good future for my daughter. Yrs have gone by and more grey hairs and so what, I will take them for the healing that has taken place in our lives. Best of luck with your book :)

Solely an observer of our challenges, her suffering, these events it is FAR harder for you, as her "voyeur" than it shall ever be for us!

It is harder to be impotent, and forced to watch than to be the diabetic.

Kids are amazingly resilient. These kids are stoic, brave, they are disciplined fighters. Your son will make it and Type 1 will shape him, in good ways, despite the challenges he faces. It is different for us. We can never stop fighting AGAINST this disease; they must learn to live WITH it, make peace with it. To us it is an enemy, an invader. To them, living with it for so long, it becomes a part of them, shapes them. They have to come to peace with it. We never can. I see our role, as children grow up and assume responsibility, differently. We will be getting our sleep; they will be exhausted working and dealing with this. When our children are grown, we will have even more energy to fight for a cure. You speak for all of us. We are like zombies for the first two or three years post diagnosis