Getting Life Under Control

Being diagnosed with diabetes was a nightmare for me. I didn’t know what to do with the news. For over a year I even ignored the diagnosis and continued living life as I wanted to. Oh sure, I’d take my pills (at first I was diagnosed as a type 2), but I didn’t bother with anything else.

When I was almost 12 I saw diabetes kill my grandfather. I had practically been raised by my grandparents so we were really close. Losing him was one of the hardest things I have ever had to bear. I refused to believe that what had killed him was what I now had.

About two years after my diagnosis I decided I wanted to have a baby, went on insulin, and went forward from there. I started checking my sugars more than once a month. It was during my pregnancy that they changed my diagnosis from a type 2 to a slowly progressing type 1.

He came 3 weeks early but I delivered a big, healthy baby boy on Christmas Eve, 2009! That little man became my life!

Since he was born I have lost all control of my sugars. They go up and down all the time and so does my mood regarding diabetes. Some days I feel like I can take on the world and there are other days when I would give anything to not have to deal with it anymore.

I was hospitalized for three days for diabetic ketoacidosis (not fun) and have since been struggling to get my A1C below 7%. 9.0% is as close as I have come. But then three months later it always seems to creep back up there.

I want another baby badly and am ready to get my life sorted out so that can happen. I want to be pregnant before December 31, 2012! It’s time for me to lose weight, get exercising and start eating healthier food choices. It’s time I got my sugars under control and got on with my life!

I am ready to start making the changes I need to make now! I will no longer let this hold me back from living the life I want to live! This is me! This is my journey!

Krispin, I wish you all the luck in the world and will pray for you. It is certainly a journey isn't it. All of my kids are 3 years apart. My wife says she planned it that way.

So grab hold and enjoy the ride Krispin cause YOU CAN DO IT!

Our love ones are one of the best motivations we have in keeping ourselves healthy and in control...
I wish you the best!

You have identified goals and defined the obsticals. It wont be easy but there are always to overcome. Best to you. Go for it.