Glucose lower than fasting several hours after eating?

Hello all,

I posted awhile back about some of my concerns (i.e. “healthy” 31 yo with fasting glucose of 103/104). Well I recently did another test with a burrito (53g of carbs total). After not eating for a 5 hours I was at 100. After eating the burrito I was 165 at 1 hour, I missed the 2 hour test but at 3 hr I was at 100, 4 hrs it was down all the way to 79 (tested 2x to make sure). I this a type of reactive hypoglycemia, even though I wasn’t technically hypoglycemic? How could it be lower than my fasting? Also, what kind of dietary changes (I already exercise quite alot) can help me prevent DM if possible? I have already limited my carbs to ~ 35g per meal (whole grains, fruit, veges) and it seems like Im not getting enough calories now to build any muscle. My most recent fasting lab value of 97 is better so I’m hoping something is working.

You’re doing well! Now let’s eat in portions that keep you below the 140 mark. It’s obvious your body’s insulin is bringing your glucose down. No, this is not a type of reactive hypoglycemia. No, you weren’t hypoglycemic at 79. If 35g + plenty of protein to keep you satisfied make you see on the scale that you’re losing weight, keep track, and eat more if you’re lean and can’t afford to lose weight.
Yes something is working if your fasting fell to 97! Healthy eating and a limitation on carbs. Congratulation are in order! Keep us all posted.

I have been concerned that I am an early type 1.5. Would my insulin’s ability to drive my levels down below fasting numbers after a high carb meal indicate otherwise?. I think I could “mentally” take it a little bit better if I new the problem wasn’t an autoimmune attack, but rather something I could at least have a chance at controlling/reversing with some strict lifestyle actions such as insulin resistance

Hi Drew,

When you were diagnosed, were GAD antibody & C-peptide tests done to measure how much your pancreas is under attack & how much insulin you’re producing? Was a glucose tolerance test done?

Morning fasting can be effected by the liver dumping glucose several hours before waking.

You’re clearly producing insulin to have readings like that, though non-diabetics don’t hit 165.

The best thing you can do is lower carbs to limit extra work on your pancreas & keep exercising.

To build muscle, you need protein.

Gerri,

Thanks for the reply. I have not been officially diagnosed, based on my age/weight/health my doctor thinks Im worried about nothing, which is why I am concerned about LADA, I just don’t fit the profile in any way (if there even is a “profile” anymore). I may request antibody testing and/or a tolerance test if things don’t improve or worsen with improved exercise and cutting out carb heavy and high glycemic foods. I will continue testing myself a few times a month fasting and after meals. With a mother quickly slipping towards T2 DM I am being very cautious. I just need to find a way to continue cutting carbs but keep my calories up with my increased exercise schedule. Maybe smaller meals spread throughout the day?

Smaller meals spread out is a good idea! Much easier for your pancreas to handle & to keep BG more level.

It’s great that you’re keeping on top of this. Doctors often don’t take our concerns seriously. Really, is there even a profile:)

Cut the carbs, increase the protein & fat. This will give you all the calories you need. Low carb diets aren’t low fat. Lots of research shows that it’s not dietary fat that causes bad lipid profiles, but high carb diets. Tons of sites with low carb recipes. I’m Type 1 & eat low carb. My meals are protein & veggies. I eat a wide variety of low carb vegetables, nuts, fish, cheese, eggs, chicken & very little red meat. No grain at all. For baking, I use almond meal, coconut flour & golden flaxseed meal. Instead of milk, I use unsweetened almond milk.

People assume that low carb will make them feel deprived. Not true. I’m never hungry & eat lots of yummy things.