Great Quote!

Now that the holidays are all but behind us it is time to start thinking more seriously about getting into shape for cycling this summer and to shed a few holiday pounds. I found this great quote in Men’s Health magazine, it pertains to eating and how you should look at your daily intake of calories.

Here is the quote:

“Breakfast-eat like a champion, lunch eat like a light weight and for dinner eat like a peasant”

I have to admit that I often do the exact opposite of this quote. I skip breakfast and have a moderate lunch and a large dinner. Since I have started eating more in the morning I find that I snack less later in the day which is a wonderful thing. Of course there is nothing new about this concept but sometimes I need to read it and really think about it before I put it into practice.

Food is an important part of a balanced diet

What??!!

sorry, I just saw that somewhere and thought it was funny

I just wasn’t sure if you were serious or joking!!! Since you are joking it actually pretty funny!!

I like it reguarless!

This really is a great quote, and I guess I follow it somewhat. I always eat breakfast, and lunch is the one I go light on

Hey David, I love that quote. I tend to do the opposite too. I see that you are a cyclist and I am a beginner in the cycling world. I just bought my first road bike. Can you give me any advise on how to control my lows after cycling?

I see that your a pumper which is very good. What I do is when I know I am going on a ride I do a temp basal for the the amount of time that I think I am going to be riding. I cut it back to around 25% of my total basal insulin. Example, lets say you are going to ride at 6pm, at 4pm I would do a temp basal for 1 hour. By the time 6PM comes around I have 75% less basal insulin in my system. It took a while to get it all figured out but works really well now.

If I am going to be riding longer I often put Cyclomax in my water so that I get a small amount of carbs every time I take a drink. I also take a Lara bar or a Cliff bar along so that if I need a snack at the half way point I can eat something before I go to low.

Hope this helps and if you should have any other questions feel free to ask–Dave

Dear David.

You wonder why we do the opposite of the quote. Probably because our blood sugars are higher than a non-diabetics in the morning we do not feel hungry. By supper time since we have do eating enough we over eat. Or is it that our circadian rythm is out of wack and thats why we developped diabetes.

Thanks for the tip. I will try that out soon.

I do the opposite too. I’m NOT a morning person, so breakfast tends to be whatever I can grab as I run out of the house. Supper is bigger, basically because I have more time to cook. I would like to say I’m going to change that, but I don’t think I’m ever going to be a morning person.