Has anyone started pumping and then quit?

Just wondering…am considering switching to a pump but after being on injections for 52 years I feel like I will lose whatever control I have…other than what foods I eat. Has anyone switched to a pump and then back to injections?

Could you explain more about your fear of loosing control? I mean the pump is controlled by you. The pump software can support you with a bolus wizard: you enter the carbs and the wizard make a recommendation about the dosage needed (this works great for people with carb counting skills). But the dosage is just a recommendation - you can change or skip it if you like. Of course people have switched back and forth between injections and pumping. It is not a one way ticket.

I just have a fear (real or imagined) of the pump releasing too much insulin because of a malfunction. Don’t worry as much about clogging because I test so often and feel I could catch it if there was a problem.

I did, but it was because I was having a lot of difficulty keeping infusion sets stuck to me… I did go back to pumping though :slight_smile:

Which pump do you use, Sarah?

Currently the Animas Ping.

Thanks, Sarah.

Morgan, have a feeling I would feel that way too. The pens are so much easier to use than even the disposable syringes and one or two vials I would have to carry with me. One time I even left my vial of insulin in the bathroom at an airport and didn’t realize it until I need to take my next shot. What an ordeal - was out of town.

Painter,
I found that I have quite a bit better control on the pump than I ever had with injections. I love my pump. I would not go back to injections.

I have switched from a pump back to MDI (multiple daily injections), although the choice was prompted by the fact that my insurance considered the pump to be durable medical equipment, and would not pay for a new one upon the expiration of the pump’s warranty. However, my experience was quite positive in going back to MDI; I did not as proponents claim, suffer from impaired control and I actually found that the schedule of injections made me a bit more rigid in my self-care resulting in a net improvement in my HbA1c. Going on a pump does require a bit of a learning curve, especially properly setting basal rates (my basal rates are extremely low, so it was pretty easy for me), but the learning curve isn’t impossible. Infusion set adhesives are a challenge, I used additional liquid adhesives to get more than a few days from infusion sets (typically, after a single shower, they come off with me), so IV prep may not be sufficient. I would encourage you to consider a pump that does not require a long-term commitment such an Omnipod (which has the added benefit of being tubeless!), rather than a traditional pump because the upfront costs are less and if you decide its not for you, you don’t have to be stuck with it indefinitely.

Thanks for responding. To those of you who switched back to MDIs, what do you use as a Basal insulin, and does it work well for you? Am having problems getting my Lantus dose correct.

I switched back to MDI a few years ago. Was on MiniMed for 2.5 years and it malfunctioned on me many times. It wouldn’t over dose me, but it would get a “No Delivery” message and then I went into Dka becaus of it. It was the malfunction, in addition to my allergy to the infusion set catheter things. I still have scars on my stomach from three years ago!

But, I would say to go for the pump. I learned a LOT while I was on it and I encourage everyone to at least try it- to see if it works. I learned a lot about my body while i was on the pump and I don’t regret using it. Just have better control on MDI (even tho THAT is even really tough for me)

Give it a try. You can ALWAYS switch back.

I’m using Levemir as my basal for the past 3 years.
Was on Lantus for abt 6 months but it put me into 6 insulin shock comas while I was sleeping.

Levemir is working pretty well, but I’m starting to see changes in my BG readings. I have an Endo appt in two weeks, so I should be able to figure out maybe a new basal insulin that’s available? haha. Maybe I’ll go back to NPH. :slight_smile:

I know some of us talked about Lantus a while ago…am going to my Endo tomorrow afternoon and want to have some information and questions ready. He still insists that Lantus has no peak and does not seem to understand my fear of middle of the night lows. When I snack at bedtime, sometimes I am high in the AM, sometimes not. I know it does not last a full 24 hrs for me (he insists it does) because my BG is usually higher than I want at dinner, even when I take the correct I:C ratio of Humalog. Am thinking that is when the Lantus is wearing off. I also thought about NPH again - at least I knew it was going to peak, and about when.

It’s hard to convince endos that Lantus doesn’t peak & doesn’t last as long as claimed. Many people here have had the same experience with Lantus I have. Didn’t matter if I took two doses or when, Lantus was unstable for me. I asked to give Levemir a try for a couple of months. It worked far better. My endo was skeptical that Levemir would help, but it definitely did. Docs believe what the pharm literature & their sales reps tell them. It’s frustrating.

Dawn phenomenon is hard to control. What works best for me is taking basal right before bed & then again in the morning. I don’t take large doses, but there’s some proof that it doesn’t really last 24 hours.

I agree, the pump when compared to MDI is not 100% controlled by you. Injecting is 100% in your control. The mechanics and electronics of a pump takes some of the “control” out of your hands. The more complicated the “mechanics” the more can go wrong. You can control the machinery but machinery can go haywire! Not much can go wrong with sticking a needle in your butt!!:slight_smile: It’s definitely a real balancing of pros and cons with both. I am considering the pump after 36 years of injections. I figure I can’t compare until I try both.

Painter- I’m so sorry that you’re having trouble with your endo. This is common.

For example, I went AGAINST my Endo’s wishes yesterday because I’ve been experiencing some SIGNIFICANT BG swings over the past few weeks. He insisted that I didn’t need to change anything and that I was “over correcting” my meals, etc. So, in turn, he was more comfortable blaming ME versus thinking that maybe every single diabetic and every single HUMAN will have a different reaction to medications in the body.

I got off of Lantus a few years ago after YELLING at my doctor. I told him “Find me something else. I’m NOT going through another insulin shock coma so that you can show your support to this drug company.”

Like many others, Levemir works MUCH better for me, it doesn’t burn when I inject it, and there are literally no PEAKS. Lantus was TROUBLE for me. I almost died on it atleast 4 times that I can think of offhand. And I was only on it for 6 months.

Needing to wake up in the middle of the night is not good for you. Experiencing lows on a regular basis is not good for your organs or your metabolism. Not getting full amounts of sleep (and little REM sleep) will do damage to your brain and your health in the long run.

If after you’ve tested your fasting levels, and after you’re fairly certain that you’re experiencing lows due to the Lantus… then get a second opinion from a different Endo, or INSIST that you be switched to Levemir.

What harm can it do? You can always switch back. Lantus and Levemir are both 24 hour basals which claim to have no peaks. It’s like Pepsi or Coke. Which do you prefer?

If your Endo isn’t listening to you- FIRE HIM and find a new one. Because in the end, it’s YOUR life, NOT his.

Please be careful and remember that your life is so valuable. Don’t let someone who doesn’t fully understand your disease manage your life. Doctors do NOT know everything. Please try to be firm with him. You’ve lived this long listening to your body. You must be doing SOMETHING right.

I’m not a doctor, just a fellow diabetic who deals with the trials and errors of diabetes on a daily basis, and the incompetence of doctors regularly. :slight_smile:

Keep us posted.

To be honest I can’t wear my minimed after 3 infusion set swaps (about a week)
Even with the silhouette sets. But there isn’t any problem with taking a break from the pump for a few days and using injections and then going right back to the pump after some healing.

I don’t see any huge problems with just suspending the pump for a few days or so, for some healing.

Type 1 for 43 years, pumping for the last 7 and sometimes want to go back on MDI, but I HATE SHOTS.

I was on NPH for years with regular, then switched to Lantus and humalog. Lantus was a nightmare at first but when I switched to two shots one every 12 hours, things evened out.

No matter what method you use to recieve insulin, with the D every day is different and it is not an exact science and I always feel that the grass is always greener, when on pump I want to go back to shots, and when on shots I want to go back on pump.

I do feel I have more lows on the pump. I somehow feel steady fast acting insulin is not great and feel that is what causes my lows

I did last summer mostly because it started malfunction (the up button wouldn’t work so I couldn’t dose for boluses) and it was past warranty. If you are considering a pump it might be worth waiting out the year or next because several of the companies are offering new pumps/featueres i.e. the solo pump (small and tubeless) omnipod is supposed to get smaller and be integrated/integratable with a CGM and I think animas is also supposed to come out with an integrated CGM/pump.

Like Scott, I actually benefited from switching back to injections…in large part due to stricter regime, but I think because I felt more in control mentally…though now I feel more mentally ready to switch back to a pump depending on what comes out this year and I think that the pump will help to fine tune a lot of things especially w/ exercise. I’m currently on Lantus and find that it does peak for me. It does seem to last at least 24 hours for me too.

As for worrying about too much insulin being released… I’ve never personally experienced it and I feel like the fact that the basal is slowly secreted throughout the day actually gives you more control. With the “24” hour insulins I feel like the rate at which they are absorbed is never quite the same…so it’s more of an illusion of control…

As for switching to a pump…it’s not guaranteed to give you better results since you still do most of the work (setting up rates, telling it to deliver X amount for bolus or correction). Some people prefer using the pump to deal with dawn phenomenon but others are able to do so w/ injections (usually doing a split dose of their basal)…Most of the advantages of the pump are in fine tuning…so if you feel you’re numbers are working for you (both A1C wise and variability/swings) then you wouldn’t really need to switch to a pump.

One last note…I think before switching to a pump you should really want to do so and it should be on your own iniatiative (i.e., not a doctors or other outside person’s opinion) because w/o wanting to do it for yourself you’re not going to want to do all the work that’s necessary to take advantage on what a pump has to offer and then it’s a waste of money.