Have you participated in a walk... and what would you change?

Hi,

I’m looking for some feedback… I’ve been a Type 1 for over 27 years and in that time frame, I’ve had my ups and downs in the belief we’ll find a cure in my lifetime. I am happy to say that there have been drastic advances in the span of my having the disease (no more pork/beef combination insulin and no more urine testing!!) but I remember the “in five years, there will be a cure” statement well.

So, my family participated in a JDRF walk lately and I was talking with the coordinator a month after the walk and she seemed open to hearing thoughts/opinions…

If you’re interested, answer the following questions:

1. Have you participated in a walk and for which agency?
  2. What did you like about the walk?
  3. What would you change about the walk?

Thanks!

Since I posted the question, I’ll answer it, too:

1. Yes, JDRF walk
  2. Meeting other people with diabetes. Meeting the pump representatives and comparing them in person
  3. I didn’t like that the whole walk focused on the 3-4 year old newly diagnosed children. I KNOW that this draws a lot of attention/sympathy from donors and media, but all these kids turn into adults (like myself) and it isn’t just a “children’s disease”. I work a shirt that said I had the disease for over 27 years and I can’t tell you how many parents commented because it was a relief for them to meet an adult who had lived with it.