Have you switched from pump back to MDI?

I am considering changing from MDI to a pump after 37 years. While I like the tubeless design of the Omnipod I am waiting for the newer, smaller version to be approved by the FDA. For now though I would really like to hear from people who have tried a pump and have returned to MDI for whatever reason and get a different perspective. Thanks for your comments.

I switched back last month but was only on the pump for 9 months. I was dx’d with LADA 15 months ago, got pregnant and started the minimed paradigm last Sept. after my pregnancy, I switched back to MDI. I didn’t like the tubing and kept running out of places to clip/stash the pump since I have a small frame. Also, I’m hardly using any insulin (7 u lantus and 0-6 u humalog a day) therefore able to control pretty well. I still have my pump and may switch back if things get more difficult to control. Like you, I would rather get the new Omnipod that comes out this year. I think I can handle a lump at the injection site vs. the clip on thing that looks like a pager. So far I love not being attached to anything. I keep all my db stuff in a wristlet that easily goes with me. My A1C has been between 5.5 & 5.7 with or without the pump. My motto is you can always switch back once you have the pump. My endo said many of her patients do that in the summer. Good luck with your decision!

thanks, wow that is a tiny amount of insulin but as you said you have a small frame maybe that translates to a small amounbt of insulin. Congrats on your pregnancy, what did you have ?

I know, it is such a small amount that I want to say - I don’t have diabetes, but know that’s not the case and probably honeymooning. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, our baby boy died 2 days before our scheduled c-section at 37 weeks. We don’t know what happened, but it was sudden and I had sky rocketed liver enzymes when they took him out so suspect pre eclampsia/HELLP. He was a perfect 8 lbs 21 1/2 inches and autopsy didnt show anythinhg wrong, which again leads us to believe it was my body.

We have a 4 yr old son at home so of course we focused on him after it happened. He was an emergency c section at 30 weeks and fought for his life for 8 wks in the NICU. That, plus a miscarriage last yr (which is how I found out I was LADA) makes me think someone’s telling me not to have kids!

Oh I am so sorry about your baby I can't even begin to imagine how painful that must have been. I have one son also but he is a senior in college.

i switch back all the time. I love having a pump, but I like to take a break from time to time. I went on a one week vacation where I was in the ocean a lot with surfing and swimming and all that good stuff, so I just went to injections for that week.
Some people have difficulty with doing that but It is not very difficult for me.
I like my pump because I have more control over exercise etc,

With MDI I find I have to use more sugar to keep myself from going low. I also use MDI if I am going on a trip where I don't want to deal with my pump.

All the pump companies let you try out their pumps for a while.

It may be worth doing to see how they feel to you.
I have a MM Revel because I wanted CGM together with my Pump.