MDI then pump and then back to MDI

Anyone here ever return to MDI after being on a pump?

Are you happy you went back to MDI?

Hi Karen, my son 10, has been almost 5 years on the pump and we started the untethered regimen in February (75% in lantus and 25% of basal with the pump), and since last week he wanted a pump vacation and don't know for how long. We use the i-port (injection port like an infusion set but for shots) for the rapid insulin injections and lantus directly in his skin. He said that he really loves i-ports. For now, he doesn't want to go back on the pump. We have to say that the pump is with a tube, I don't know if he would be on the omnipod if he would feel differently or not. The thing that bothers him are the number of tests he has to do when on the pump. I am sure he is enjoying the fact that the pump is not around his waist... The thing is that the pump's accessories are covered 100% and not i-ports.

I have been pumping for almost 13 years and enjoy it. It wasn't always that way, when I first started, it was 1999 and my husband was sick. I found it confusing trying to take care of him and learning something new, I stayed on the pump maybe a month and had to stop. When my husband returned to work near the end of that year I returned to the pump in 2000. I tell you this because sometimes you think you're ready for a change and it's not the right time but later it might work out.

I was diagnosed 1.5 yrs ago and have gone from MDI to pump an then back to MDI. My pump was good for when I used it, but I just didn’t like the tubing. Also, my insulin needs are very low right now and I’m constantly in the pool this summer, so it was an easy transition back to MDI. I like the fact that I can switch back to the pump if things change. But I may check out the Omnipod later down the road.

Amy

I was on the pump for about 5 years, and then switched back to MDI. There were some odd circumstances there which played a part in my switching back, but overall, I think I'm glad I did. I do miss not having to take so many shots, but for me, changing the infusion set every 3 days was torture. I could blow through a set change in about 5 minutes or so, but then sit there for another 20 or more trying to bring myself to actually insert the infusion set (Minimed Silhouette). I still sometimes have to really clear my head to do a shot, but it is much better than the infusion sets for me. Sometime down the road I may still revisit the idea, but for now, MDI is a better fit for me.

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/have-you-switched-from-pump-back-to-mdi
Hi Karen,
I asked the same question not long ago, got some interesting answers. I am still planning on going on the Omnipod once the smaller version comes out. I was happy to hear that it is not that complicated to switch from one to another, just a bit of planning, and supplies. I use kwikpens and solostar pens with nano needles. I am planning a dive trip in November and know that the omnipod or actually any pump cannot go to depths the max is about 25ft so I'll have to switch back regardless of which pump I get.

This seems to be something that many people consider. I also posted this question some time ago. I have ultimately decided to stay on the pump (for now at least) but there are things about it that drive me crazy. Inserting the infusion set is really no different that using a syringe for me, but the adhesive sometimes drives me crazy because it itches. You just have to do what works best for you. I was on MDI for about about 8 years or so and now I've been on the pump for about 14 years. I wouldn't be surprised if I did switch back at some point in the future.

I switched back this past March after 8 years of pumping. I love not having the pump attached to me all the time. Around Christmas last year, I was just so sick and tired of having the pump clipped to my jeans and dealing with the tubing. I ordered the Omnipod and started that in January, with the idea that the new smaller pods would be coming out soon (still none....). They bruised me terribly and my absorption was sporadic. I then went back to MDIs in March and have loved the freedom since. I pre-fill syringes if I go anywhere and have alarms set on my phone to remind me to take my Lantus. Works great!

Been there, done that. And I ended up back on the pump. FOR ME, the pump just offers a level of control that I find impossible to achieve with shots. A CGM provided marginal benefits, but the pump....wow. The ability to fine-tune my dosing, deliver insulin in micro-doses, adjust my basal rates...all these things were just IMPOSSIBLE for me on MDI. MDI will keep me alive, but it does not keep me this healthy. In addition, because the pump captures all my data, I have oodles of information that I can use to adjust things. On MDI, I could never find a way of logging that worked with my hectic job and gave me the info I needed to make adjustments in my care.

But I think this is a personal decision. We all have a variety of factors in our lives that impact the usefulness of a pump. You just have to decide what your factors are and, therefore, which treatment works best for you.

1 Like

Only reason I consider pumping is my Lantus peaks can vary 20-100 points from dose to dose, otherwise why live with 24/7/365 tethering.

Hey Karen, I've wondered about this myself. I was on injections for 25 years and was fine until hormone changes and the development of a fierce DP threw me out of control. Lantus was causing big drops for me overnight all of a sudden, even after many years on Lantus with no problems.

Going to OmniPod gave me the ability to adjust quickly and set different basal rates and for that I'm very grateful. But I miss the freedom of not having to worry about pod changes and the timing of where I'll be when I need to change my pod and carrying extra supplies.

A pump definitely requires more energy and attention than injections. Injections offers alot of freedom, if it works for you. Unfortunately, it wasn't working for me anymore. I also worry about the cost of pumping and cgming with Medicare -- I've got a while left until retirement but if push came to shove with the cost, I'd try injections again.

I was one of my endo's first patients to go on Lantus and I ended up telling them that I split the dose am and pm of Lantus and it worked well for me. They said hmmm will have to tell others, ha. Pump works well on and off, I feel like I have a lot of lows and I believe it is all the fast acting insulin with the pump (my theory).

I did shots for 36 years before going on the pump, and never liked shots, but I am really wanting some freedom and not so many lows that next endo appointment I am going to look into Lantus and humalog pens. Of course I had a good few days pumping, but of course now is a site change and that could mess everything up.

Hi Karen,
I have done shots for 37 years, and I have to say the lantus and humalog pens make mdi so much easier for me. They both use the same pen needles and the new nano needles are 32 gauge and only 4mm long, while I can't say I like shots, I can say these are the most comfortable needle I have ever used. Since I started counting carbs more carefully I have stayed away from the lows. I too split my lantus dose, and I too told the endo I was doing it. He agreed and said for some people the lantus does not last 24 hours. I said I imagine for most people it does not last a full 24 hours. Kind of like the old Lente insulin, that never lasted 24 hours for me either. But at the same time I am kind of like smileandnod as far as looking ahead. I am 51 years old and can see impending hormone changes of menopause so I am still considering a pump. But I will wait on the new omnipod. My insurance coverage is excellent so at least for now cost is not a big consideration.

Did anyone's I:C ratio change after going from the pump back to shots? When I was on the pump, my I:C ratio was 1:10. Now it's closer to 1:7! I seem to be taking quite a bit more insulin for my boluses than I did while pumping. Since I finally figured this out, my numbers have been better than they've been in a very long time.

IMO and as a MDI person and can't get a Pump?
1. Most Went on the Pump Too Soon
2- Didn't learn all that is Needed to know using MDI and Then Master Getting 6% A1c's with MDI 1st, before going on the Pump
3- Most Girls go on the Pump ,because they hate Sticking Themselves so much, and it's understanable as to why- It ruins their Skin and Appearance and it's being a Masocist..and They having softer Skin and Sensitivity, It hurts more ..
4- But once one Masters their BG's using MDI, the Pump makes it Alot Easier and thus they appreciate it alot more..
5- And they end up needing LESS Tot Insulin as well and gain less Weight In the Process..not leaving out all the Conviences of having a Pump..