Help 26 year-old with bad neuropathy in legs

26 bad neurology legs I have it bad the meds don’t work for me I have no clue wat to do

1 Like

Best thing you can do is get your BGs under control.

1 Like

They r too the best I can be

Joey, I saw a neurologist and she prescribed Gabapentin, it does help me in some ways. It is not perfect, but it does help. Lyrica is also an option, however, it did not work for me.

Now having said that I can attest that your option is getting your blood sugar under control. I have had type 1 for 42 years and I have not been perfect, but you may find that as your blood sugar is in better control your pain will be less and further damage will be worse.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are suffering so bad! I am sure you’ve already tried conventional treatments…

Mayo clinic reckons the following alternative therapies might help:-

•Acupuncture. Inserting thin needles into various points on your body might reduce peripheral neuropathy symptoms.
•Alpha-lipoic acid. This has been used as a treatment for peripheral neuropathy in Europe for years.
•Herbs. Certain herbs, such as evening primrose oil, might help reduce neuropathy pain in people with diabetes.
•Amino acids. Amino acids, such as acetyl-L-carnitine, might be of benefit for some people.

I have heard compression garments sometimes help to manage the pain.

Other than that, getting optimal blood sugar control may help reverse it in the longer run (though the recovery process can be very painful and take quite a few months). What is optimal blood sugar? Ideally with HBa1c as close to non-diabetic levels as you can get them, and stable (ie. staying within a fairly narrow range). This would typically mean < 6.0 (ideally low 5s).

This is certainly a challenge and one needs the right tools and knowledge to achieve it. The best resource I’ve found for getting really tight control is Dr. Richard Bernstein and his book Diabetes Solutions / his lectures on Bernstein Diabetes University (U-tube). This does mean low carb eating as part of the overall approach.

Type 1 grit have a facebook group and they have fabulous low carb recipes as well. As does www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Did you check the B12, low B12 and Pernicious Anemia (an auto-immune disorder) can cause these sensations as well… not a Dr, just thinking…

2 Likes