Help! How to not forget basal dose

This doesn’t mention Tresiba??? I ordered them so hope they are correct.

I have it on my Tresiba pen right now, and that’s the exact link I ordered from!

Thanks Cardamom, these will be very helpful!

1 Like

I have used Timesulin for years for my Humalog Kwikpen, and when I was briefly allowed to have it (by my insurance) Tresiba. I was forced to switch to Toujeo, but there is no Timesulin cap for it. For my “basal” I use the Insulcheck device, but I do not think it is compatible with Tresiba. Also, I think Timesulin is better. Insulcheck has a replaceable battery, but Timesulin is more integrated.

I had to replace a Timesulin cap recently and unfortunately could not get shipping to the U.S. from anywhere except Australia. It cost me $80! It was actually worth it. Apparently, the company got purchased, and they are working on innovating the product.

I wish I had thought to check eBay before ordering from Australia!

Not true. Toujeo is in a solostar pen in the US, and there are several of these Timesulin caps for solostar for sale on eBay US. Maybe harder to get in Australia.

This topic is a real issue we all have to deal with. Some great ideas in this thread.

My career was in Info Tech, and I love gadgets, but my solution is tech-less. First, I analyzed why I would sometimes miss a shot and most of the time, I allowed myself to be distracted while doing morning or bedtime medical procedures (shots and pills). Turns out much of the time, I had the radio on and that sometimes distracted me. So my rule is turn off the radio until the important stuff has been done.

Second, when done with evening injection, I put the insulin in its evening location. Immediately and without fail. If I can’t remember if I’ve take that injection, I can check where the medicine is.

In the morning, I pickup the insulin from its evening location, take my shot, and put it in its daytime location. That has to be done without fail or the whole thing falls apart. And I can do that reliably as long as I am not distracted.

So I always know if I have taken an injection or not. Usually memory serves, but if not, location is the tell.

I use a similar procedure when travelling (well, when I used to travel before the pandemic), but I have two locations in my travel bag, one evening and one daytime.

I developed this arcane procedure because every couple of months I would screw up, and I just got tired of that…

1 Like

I’d gladly be wrong. Do you have a photo of a Timesulin cap on a Toujeo pen? I’ve repeatedly contacted Timsulin to ask when they were going to have a cap for Toujeo, and they’ve apologetically responded each time.

These are $7 each or two for $11. What do you have to lose? They are for solostar pens, same as toujeo. If it doesn’t fit exactly it is most likely to be slightly too long or short - which would be easy to make work by lengthening or shortening. Plastic is easy to cut.

I have mixed and matched various timesulin caps to different pens with only minor challenges!

I know I ended up cutting one shorter by almost an inch, and I know I ended up adding a few pieces of tape to the inside of another to make it better fit the ‘skinnier’ pen I was trying to use it on, but neither was hard to adapt despite not having the ‘right’ label. I suppose theres probably a combination of a fat pen and a skinny cap that wouldn’t work, but they’re so cheap on Ebay Id bet if you got two different ones you’d get at least one that worked and maybe two out of the deal.

Hi…

I use a Novopen echo. It has a little LCD dispaly on the end that tells you units of kast dose, and how many FULL hours ago it was done. A quick look and you will KNOW hoe long ago you last took your dose. The pens are easily available in many pharmacies in the US.
I your last was less than 1 hr ago no bars around the edge will show, but it will how your units taken. I got it mainly because it can do 1/2 unit doses. ie 3 units or 3.5 units, etc
I do not know if it would work with your insulin in question. There are other smart pens out there, CALL you insulin maker or pharmacy for options

JD.

PS: my echo pen cost me about $75-$80

I too love the Novo Echo with its half unit dosing. This is the pen that rolled off my banister and appeared to be fine but wasn’t. Even though I thought I was making sure that insulin was still coming out, it wasn’t all coming out and my glucose levels started running high much to my dismay. My little red pen was broken. I have another one on order. Luckily I have another less fancy pen on hand and lots of insulin.

1 Like

It’s very helpful to have a few boxes of syringes available for emergencies. They don’t go bad, so you can store a few hundred of them and use them if there is ever a problem with your stuff.

You can get syringes with 1/2 unit markings and all kinds of needle lengths.

(Also, you can use a syringe to pull insulin out of a pen and then inject it!)

2 Likes

Yes, I have boxes of pens, and lots of cartridges, but I want my Novo Echo pen back NOW. Rite Aid is trying to find one.

I tend to forget notes and reminders, so I link my basal shots and other meds with the few constants in my life:underwear and pjs. When pjs come off or on, it is time for my shots and pills. The underwear is a second level reminder for the rare occasions when I stay in pjs, like sick days.

1 Like

When I was young before insulin pens existed, I just had 2 bottles one of nph, and one regular.
However I could often not remember if I took my insulin at all and was worried I would take too much.
No cgm and even finger stick machines were so big almost no one carried them around.
So I started carrying a card with a tiny calendar. I would check off the breakfast lunch and dinner slots.
It’s very old school and a bit of a pain, but when you do something several times a day the exact same way you tend to do it in automatic mode and not remember.

Now I’m on a pump and it remembers everything for me, and it even blouses for me if I don’t do it first.

Second idea. I had a type 1 girlfriend who moved her rings to remind her of her doses. If her ring was on her middle finger that meant she had taken her second dose but not the third.
I mean this is back in the days of 3 injections a day and maybe an extra at night if you over did it.

1 Like

If you are using an Android phone, the built-in clock app can be set to run a daily alarm which does what you probably want. Just use the alarm-clock screen.

Thanks.
M.

You can set alerts on your Omnipod PDM.

1 Like