High blood sugar & your period

I have the same problems as you Elaine, I’ve had DB for around 2 and a bit years now, but I’m going through the menopause too! My blood sugar is continually high around period time, whenever that is as I have recently had 6 periods in the past three months and this month I was two weeks later than I should have been… so I never know when it will arrive…lol.

However, In January, I’m going to be started on insulin, so hopefully this will help to control my rising BG.

All the best, Denise. x

Good luck Denise. I might have stopped having periods…3 months, now, and suddenly my basal insulin needs have dropped.

I am going through the high blood sugars and i Know my period is going to start in a week or so. I read that your numbers can go up during PMS but when you perios starts they go back down. I have been in the 200’s for over a week and am aggravated! I thought it was my inset so I changed it then I thought maybe I just ate too much then I increased my basal rate and found it worked one day but now it is crazy again! I am AFWUL at writing things down- what I ate etc so I can’t call the doctor until i get my act together. I am hoping that my period will start and that will be the end of it!

I guess y New Year’s resolution should be to write things down instead of getting crazy about things at teh last minute!

Hey, that’s my resolution, too! :wink:

Sounds like you’re off to a great start, though. You’ve indentified your fluctuations, so now you and/or your doctor can adjust your insulin accordingly. It’s taken me 25 years to figure out my cycle fluctations. Today I woke up to a 200 and instead of thinking, “WTF?” like I’ve been doing for years, I know that it’s because it’s Day 16 and I am going to have to increase my insulin like crazy for the next two days.

Fun, isn’t it??? :wink: Hang in there!

Thanks to all for sharing, I’m sorry, but glad to hear so many others with the same problem ! Every doctor I mentioned this to, made me feel I was crazy, or just finding excuses for not having BGs in control. So I doubted that my cycle had anything to do with my highs and lows, and didn’t take the time to check for patterns.

But once I started using the pump, and got my basals ‘right’ , it was easier to find the patterns by fasting some days and ‘proving’ that I needed a higher basal or lower basal, regardless of what doctors said. I thought, it must not be common for other diabetics, just me. It’s still a mystery to me why so many doctors deny this.

Now I use my patterns or temp basals, and finally things started to work out. I’m better at recognizing when it’s time for a basal change and bolus ratio change, and don’t get so frustrated.

Wow, so glad to have stumbled upon this group! I have had 3 different endo’s, and they all look at me like I am crazy when they ask me my insulin dose, and I tell them, ex. 12 units of Lantus, and then 13, depending on where in my cycle I am. I have also had a crazy look when I said I was insulin resistant on the day of ovulation.

So, where I have known for a long time that my insulin needs vary during my cycle, it has always baffled me that a Dr. wouldn’t understand, it seemed like common sense to me that fluctuation hormones could affect the way insulin is used/ absorbed in the body. It is nice to know that I am not the only one, and I am not crazy!

Hi Amy,
My periods are pretty regular BUT 2 weeks before, i have really uncontrollable blood sugars and its very tiring! Its nice to find other people with this issue so we can all help eachother :).would love to talk more.

This could be related to ovulation. I’m using www.fertilityfriend.com to chart my cycle now and try to match it up with my blood sugar logs. I think that I might be facing highs (due to insulin resistance) around ovulation.

I know it has been a few years but I wanted to check on any developments with managing this. First time testing since diagnoses during my cycle. High sugars…it is so disheartening as I have been super careful. Exercise and low carbs all tracked and still high.

hi there! while it’s perfectly ok to revive an old topic like this, we have a current one going with members currently active happening here

you might want to comment there

welcome to our community! we are all helping each other here.

It’s hard to say. There are a lot of factors that go into women being on birth control into their 30’s. A lot depends on family history, and individual risk factors and health history.

Hi,

I was diagnosed three years ago at 43 w Type 1 and have been having the high blood sugar spikes pre menstrual. Thanks for your info I am hoping to try the Depo Provera.