High blood sugars

Middle schooler I am struggling with high blood sugars I take metformen to help at night and morningbut it is not any advice for something that might help

1 Like

Hi Ruby, if you are a Type 1 then you need insulin. This is the usual recommendation to manage your high blood sugars.

@Ruby8, welcome! Are you a Type 1 or a Type 2? Are you on insulin? Do you have a pump or a CGM?

If you give us a bit more information about your treatment, we may be able to help better. It is great to see you go after information like this. I hope to read from you soon. My younger son is a 6th grader, T1 diabetic (T1D). He is 12.

3 Likes

Hi @Ruby8 , welcome!

All of the above questions are certainly important. One other question - you said you’re having high blood sugars, but did not say when. Is the metformin managing your morning blood sugars effectively? Are these high blood sugars after meals, or at some other point in the day?

Please don’t be put off by all the questions - People here love to try and help, but need some info as a starting point. You can, of course, always pick and choose what you do and do not say.

Look around the forum – there is a wealth of information scattered throughout! This community has many collective years of experience, so you’ve come to the right place for support with this and any other issues you may have!

1 Like

@Ruby8, as others have said, welcome!

Let’s start with the biggie first: It’s so hard dealing with this as a teenager. To make matters worse, there are a bunch of us old farts (I’m 54) hanging around telling you what to do. We often forget that well, we’ve forgotten what the world is like, what your plans, goals, joys, fears, etc. are at that age. So we will with certainty give you some advice that just isn’t right for your life.

That said, you are in the right place to learn how to manage your health. The great news is, with some basic habits and awareness, you can live a very happy, fun, healthy and long life.

We have a teen group here that you should tie in to. That’s where you’ll get some of your best advice. I’m 110% certain that @MarieB will post with a pointer after I mention her in this post :wink:

Now, all that said, how high is your BG running? At your young age, there’s a lot more “wiggle room” before we get really alarmed. This is not the say that normal BG control isn’t the goal, and very important, for young diabetics; rather, the urgency, and therefore the degree of anxiety and worry, are blessedly more relaxed because your body can handle it better.

That is, as long as you’re not running too high.

So let’s start with what you’re actually dealing with in terms of the severity of your control issues. Also just as important is how you’re feeling physically, as some people are more sensitive to moderately elevate BG than others.

hey @Ruby8 glad you’ve joined us! I’m not a teen either, but I remember those years well, and I know it’s extra hard when you have this diabetes thing that makes you different, that maybe you would like to ignore, hide from others, forget about. We are a community where you can share your success, and also you can share your falling down. We’ll try to give you a hand and help you get back on your feet, if you need a hand. That hand could come from someone with your type of diabetes (or not), or maybe a person in Australia or Switzerland.

I have friends here of all ages and types of diabetes. I’ve been involved here for almost 10 years now and I can tell you we are especially protective of our teens and young people. We don’t allow disrespect and are proud of our inclusive, friendly reputation. Let us know what you are looking for, anything.

How long have you been taking Metformin?

Hi Ruby! We are so happy you are here! Well, as happy as we can all be to be in this “special” diabetes club…ugh! There are the most fantastic people in the world here with the Biggest Hearts! :heart::heart::heart_eyes:

First of all, you are so extremely brave and intelligent for reaching out for support. It took me 18 years to figure that out! You are brilliant! I am 38 and have had type 1 diabetes for 19 years. I have used different insulin pumps and now use a long acting insulin called Tresiba and one called Afrezza for meals and to lower any unexpected high blood sugars. I added metformin to my diabetes plan around two years ago and it helped a lot with insulin resistance and high morning blood sugars.

Like others have said…when you feel like it, tell us more about chya and diabetes! We would love to learn more to your story so we can help you however we can! I feel so tired, grumpy and “foggy brained” when my blood sugars are high. How are you feeling? Big Hugs, Cynthia

Stinky blood sugars…

2 Likes