Highs

I was just wondering what anyone does for when they are stressed and nervous, and not any drop of insulin seems to get their blood sugar down. For example i took my state boards for cosmetology and my blood sugar was in the 290’s, first i didnt want ot take to much insulin , because i didnt want a low during my examination, but yet i didnt want it high. I took about 2 1/2 units of insulin and still found my blood sugar 4 hours later to be about the same level again. Now today i had an interview and my blood sugar has been in the 250s to 290s. I have eve done the mistake we all usually do and correct my highs, and usually gone loow but i haven’t even gone below 200. Is there anything that you do on a day you know your stressed, or maybe know your nerves are going to be all crazy?!

Although stress and anxiety do play a part in blood sugars, I find that usually there tend to be other, “technical” issues that contribute to those highs that just don’t seem to budge.

Some reasons for highs: “old” insulin in the bottle, injecting or inserting pump infusion set in overused skin (where insulin is not absorbed very well), irritated infusion site, overeating of any sort (it’s not just the carbs–high fat meals can lead to later highs), dehydration.

Rather than stack a bunch of correction injections or boluses (and risk a later low), I try to do one correction and then make a big effort to get a little exercise–doesn’t have to be more than a brisk walk. Exercise helps improve insulin sensitivity, lowers blood glucose, and gets the circulation going–all things that help insulin in your system do its job. Plus, exercise is good for stress relief.

And, when that doesn’t work, I like to stomp around and be grumpy. And blame the diabetes :slight_smile:

Stress induced highs are very difficult to treat because there seems to be a teeny tiny line between too much or too little insulin. Whereas with an overeating high you have a little more room to guess.
I do like Kelly’s idea of physical activity, but then that’s not always an option.
I guess I’d try to correct a bit on the conservative side, and then test more frequently and have a quick source of sugar available in case you crash…

okay, its time for my stupid questions… why is it that you’re not supposed to exercise when over 240??? I wasn’t told this when diagnosed and was just amazed as I tend to do this often. I usually will correct the 250+ with 2.5 units and then hit the gym.

Elizabeth

My diabetes educator told me that the reason not to exercise over 250 is because my body will break down muscle tissue in its attempts to find “fuel”. My heart is a big old muscle – so exercising over 250 could lead to heart damage.

Do your BGs come down quickly after you correct? If so, you’re probably okay since you’d be below 250 by the time you get to the gym.

And there are no stupid questions. This is Tudiabetes, remember? :wink:

Janet