Honeymoon period over?

Hi everyone,

I’m a bit confused about what’s going on with my blood sugar —

So I was diagnosed with type 1 a little over 3 months age, and I entered the honeymoon period around the end of April. Over the last three days though, my blood sugar has been on the rise. I don’t want to start increasing my basal (I’m on multiple daily injections) unless I’m sure that this isn’t just a temporary blip… Could I be sick? How soon before getting sick does your blood sugar go up? Could it be the recent heat wave? Does hot weather raise your blood sugar? Sorry about all the questions, I’m trying to figure what other reasons might be and how likely this is to be the end of the honeymoon phase versus something else!

Any advice or tips are much appreciated! Thanks!

All of those things you mentioned can factor into a rise in blood sugars, unfortunately (which doesn’t really make figuring out diabetes any easier!).

From what I’ve been told, the honeymoon is essentially over when your fasting blood sugar (pre-breakfast reading) is over 200 mg/dl. That means that your body’s natural production of insulin is no longer sufficient in stabilizing your body’s natural production of sugar (from the liver). Honeymoons range from a few weeks to a few months, though I rarely hear of it going longer than a year. When the honeymoon is ending, you will start to see dramatic jumps in your insulin needs before it starts to even out. Your daily basal amount will essentially change, though the micro-tuning of the exact times and exact doses will change every few weeks.