Honeymoon stage

Ah, it sounded like you had tried the 24 hour insulin for two days and then gone back to NPH. I’m sure that you’ll find the right dose as you work with your doctor and read more about how to adjust insulin doses yourself, eventually.

1 Like

6,77 = 6.77

It’s just metric system, it is a rational number. It has a 6 whole parts and less than 1 whole, in this case 0.7 parts (7 whole parts of ten parts) or 0.77 (77 whole parts of a hundred parts)
The other 7 is only there to show that it’s closer to 6.8 than to 6.6. It’s all differences in how to present measures between countries.

1 Like

Make sure you mention this to your doctor.

2 Likes

Not too many folks still take NPH. There’s a reason most people consider it archaic.

1 Like

Yes, NPH is generally horrible (I used it for the first 13 years of my diabetes). But, if I were to ever go back to MDI for some reason, I actually think I’d use a few units of NPH or regular to cover DP. I wouldn’t do it without a CGM, though!

1 Like

@Taty
Start your Metformin? Now?
If doctor prescribed it, it should be of benefit to you.

Also, there is a recent study which demonstrates benefits to T1 as well as T2.

2 Likes

@LADA_lady thank you for your advice! The doctor that prescribed me it misdiagnosed me as DM2, and she didn’t even wanted to test for antibodies (as I requested), that’s why I was unsure to take it or not. So aren’t there any disadvantage on taking metforming and burning out my remaining b cells?
I went to another doctor and she asked for the GADA test, and it came out positive, my next appointment with her it’s only end of november (public health). I have an appointment with another endo this week though.
And I am wondering how long this honeymoon stage will last, until I need to be on insulin, and how will I need to monitor to know when it changed?

1 Like

Oh, you have some really good questions for your endo this week, then!

I can’t give you medical advice; I am not a doctor.

However, my experience is my first diagnosis (T2) and second diagnosis after the antibody test (T1, one month later) yielded that FOR ME, the Metformin I was prescribed for T2 was also beneficial to support my remaining beta cells. So I have continued it as a T1 patient.

I will try to link the new study to this thread, or I welcome anyone else to do so, as I am boarding a flight right now.

2 Likes

I see. Yep, a lot of questions o/
And how are the metformin working for you? Do you take only one or two a day, of 500mg? And how often do you monitor your bg?
I appreciate if someone link this study here :slight_smile: Have a safe flight

1 Like

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that Metformin does not burn out any remaining functional beta cells. How long a honeymoon lasts is a very individual thing, so wondering how long your honeymoon will last by comparing yourself with other PWD (even in the face of multiple similarities) is unfortunately of limited utility. I believe, however, that a honeymoon might be lengthened by eating fewer carbs.

4 Likes

@Taty:
My experience is:
I was initially prescribed 2 X 500 mg regular Metformin daily upon T2 diagnosis.

One month later, on the same day as the blood draw for c-peptide and GAD antibodies, I was prescribed Tresiba insulin pen and 2 X 500 mg Metformin ER TWICE daily. So amount of Metformin was increased.

Technically the T1 diagnosis came about a week later when labs came back. But the insulin and increased Metformin prescriptions came from the Genius endo, whom I’ve known 20 years. His inkling was T1 / LADA, as my FBG on Metformin had not reduced much (from 460 to 300) over the previous month.

For insurance reasons, I am now seeing an Endo who is more of a Clinician. But I had the benefit of Genius endo’s accurate intuition. He is the one who confirmed the antibodies and C-peptide results. He’s the one who told me to continue the Metformin ER to support whatever beta cells I had left. He and the Clinician work closely together, albeit in separate practices.

Love the Metformin. Even the initial dose helped me. Hair, nails and skin were better within days. Gone were all of my crazy addictive sugar cravings.

I can’t live without insulin, and the insulin saved me. Down to 80-110 within three days of starting Tresiba. From 300+.

But I swear by the results of Metformin.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience.

1 Like

My son was diagnosed with type 1 when he was 3. We was on very low doses of insulin, less than 2U a day for a while. I feel like he had some pancreatic function for about three years after diagnosis, although there was a progressional diminishing.

It was strongest in the first 12 months. I thought it was over then, but over the next two years he experienced periods of significant increases in insulin needs, and then would plateau. And again, and again. And then finally, after one of these plateaus, his dosing became much more predictable than it has even been. It was still a beast, but there was a notable difference. It was only in retrospect that I considered his pancreas had finally given up.

I don’t know this to be true. It’s just how I feel based upon how things progressed over that period. Looking back it seemed things were harder to manage because we were battling erratic insulin production to some degree and once that stopped, it was a bit easier.

Wow. Thank you for sharing. It is a beast. But so glad more control was
gained.