How do Saturday activities affect your BG?

Saturdays are very busy for me. It usually consists of shopping, yard work, house keeping, football games, etc. I am a lot more active on Saturday than the rest of the week. I’ve yet to “master” the art of Saturday Mayhem.

How do you all deal with elevated activity? Have you developed any tips or tricks that help you get through those highs, lows, adrenaline rushes, etc?

A few of my friends joke about shopping at Target. We swear they pump something through the ventilation that makes up drop like a rock. We’ve even come up with a hashtag. #tagetlows

@Melissa_Lee wrote a blog about _Shopoglycemia. http://asweetlife.org/feature/shopoglycemia-low-blood-sugar-in-the-supermarket/. _It’s a real thing. I’m sure it’s happened to you. Tell us your stories. What happened? How did you deal with it? How do you prevent it?

1 Like

Never really noticed lows while shopping but I will say that my work days basal at 16 is very different from my off days at 19. I work at Coscto so I’m really working pretty hard all day long. So my off days are usually a lot easier than my work days. But I have never noticed any problems while shopping but it is also not one of my favorite things to do so if I can get my husband to do it, all the better for everyone! Especially me!

I can certainly relate to you about Target lows!! Half the time I go into Target, I head straight for the candy counter, before getting even close to finished shopping – even for just a few items!

My lowest low occurred during a grocery shopping errand. I was with my son on a Friday afternoon, picking up a few items for the weekend. I remember looking at a display of some sort of drinks when my kid came over all excited to tell me about some snack item or other that he wanted me to buy. I just looked at him, while he repeatedly tried to tell me what he wanted – and realized that I couldn’t understand a word he was saying! I had my meter in my jacket, so I pulled it out to test – I could barely SEE the thing, but somehow managed to test: BG was 23…

I think I finished a whole tube of glucose tabs before becoming coherent again…

Hmm. I’ve never noticed much effect. I think that once (maybe twice) I’ve gone low in a store, but it was so long ago that I don’t remember many details.

But regardless of what I’m doing, I pretty much always have glucose tabs within reach. They’re in all the cars, my briefcase, and more often than not, my pocket. I learned that lesson the hard way, shortly after dx.

I used to get lows at KMart. All those flashing lights. This thread cracks me up cuz I got a spam email from KMart today offering me a job. Um…NO!
Target is a safe shopping experience for me. Never got low from shopping there, but my cart sometimes gets way to full!! I never shop on Saturday just because I don’t like the throngs in the parking lot, the aisles, and certainly not the lines to get out!
My shopping mayhem is Thursday so I don’t deal with throngs. On the weekend I get to enjoy being outdoors in my own store doing my own thing and even if it’s to work it’s still joyful.

Weekends are almost always higher physical activity for me. I use the temp basal feature on my pump to compensate. And always carry glucose.