How Gestational Diabetes Develops

I just read this:
(Ivanhoe Newswire) – We may finally know why five-percent of women develop diabetes while they are pregnant.

New research from the Stanford University School of Medicine shows a protein in the pancreas may cause gestational diabetes. The condition can lead to birth defects and predispose children to develop diabetes later in life.

More... (http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=17453)

Do you want to share your gestational diabetes story?

Manny,

This is just ONE of many reasons why GD develops.

The article is very misleading because it is well known that pregnancy increases the work load on the pancreas so anyone whose blood sugar control has been marginal before pregnancy is likely to test with GD.

Beyond that, pregnancy is the FIRST time most young women get any screening for postprandial blood sugar abnormalities. And it turns out that they are much more common than doctors realize. Typically diabetes screening involves a fasting test, but women usually develop diabetes in a pattern where the post-prandials deteriorate many years before the fasting blood sugar.

It is usual for genetic forms of diabetes to first show up during a pregnancy. Typically GD develops about half way through a pregnancy. With a genetic diabetes, it can develop very early, as mine did.

Unfortunately, doctors and gynecologists are frighteningly ignorant about diabetes. The imbeciles who told me I couldn’t possibly have diabetes since I was thin are a good example. As were the doctors who only screened me with urine tests and fasting plasma glucose tests. My threshold for spilling glucose turns out to be over 250 mg/dl! So I spent years in the low 200s after meals without diagnosis despite TWO GD pregnancies at normal weight.

Every research study that comes up with any “cause” of Type 2 diabetes gets reported as if it were THE cause of Type 2 diabetes and as if Type 2 was ONE disease instead of thousands of different metabolic problems that create one common symptom, high blood sugars.

I’m the T1 daughter of an insulin dependent mother who was first diagnosed while she was pregnant with my older sister. That was back in 1974 and since we’ve never had the all-important, mother-daughter “what were your c-peptide and antibodies at diagnosis?” chat, I couldn’t tell you if she’s autoimmune, gestational, or just an insulin dependent T2.

But know we can prick our fingers together, it’s fun.