How LOW have you gone?

What is the lowest number you have ever recorded? I was a 17 once and was talking to a friend and laughing. But I was in a coma once at work, threw up, got in my car and started to drive home before I crashed my car driving 110 miles an hour. The paramedics said my BS was 70. I think you can go into a coma anytime and at any low number. Is the number 0 when you finally die? And to end in a high note…since the CGM I never go that low anymore.

Crap, now I gotta break your record! Let me get to work…

Ha! :smiley: But seriously, I think the lowest I recorded was 23 or 24 or something like that, and didn’t feel that bad. I was still functional and able to self-correct. But there are other times when I have felt much worse at a higher number. I guess it has to do with how quickly we fall, or maybe a bunch of other mysterious things!

I’d be willing to bet, after the crash, your body kicked into survival mode - released adrenaline, who knows what else. That raised you after the crash. At the time of the crash, you were probably not at 70, but you got to 70 by the time the paramedics arrived. What do you think? Just a guess.

I think the lowest number my meter has ever displayed was 28 or 29.

Worst ones I had were in the first few months of being dx’d, and that was in the pre-meter era so I don’t really have a number. But those NPH hypos were nastier than anything I’ve experienced since. @Eddie2’s suggestion that rapidity of the fall may have to do with how bad the reaction is rings true to me–that has always seemed to have a lot to do with it. Lowest I’ve ever seen with a meter was 30s.

Rapidity of the fall definitely matters. Consider how often someone who has been living with high numbers will experience what seem like low symptoms when their numbers come down to something resembling normal. It matters, all right.

Note also that most test strips have quite poor accuracy at very low and very high bg levels

When someone is in a coma, they are experiencing a very deep state of unconsciousness, incapable of voluntary movement, and therefore unable to drive a car.

The BG number at which any particular person becomes comatose or dies is variable because many other physical factors are at play. I’m happy to hear that a CGM is effective in preventing you from going so low. :slight_smile:

Lowest ever was 10. Paramedics didn’t believe me; said I should be unconscious. They tested me…it was 10.

just out of the hospital still learning MDI hit 27 on my meter. Thought then I might have to quit working - thank you pump people!

What? I live around 70 a significant portion of every day. Never managed to do any of those things. What I have noticed is that sub-70 my blood pressure also drops, and I get some of those wonky low-blood pressure things going on (light-headedness, dizziness on standing, etc.). I don’t really get low symptoms until I’m sub 60, and then it’s irritability, headaches, “empty-headedness,” extreme hunger, and a feeling of being totally drained. Lowest I’ve ever tested is 53 mg/dL.

But 70 mg/dL for being in a coma? That seems extraordinarily unlikely to me! I’m wondering if they got their measurements wrong somehow.

I think the bigger question is whether laura54 was actually in a coma…Maybe I’m not understanding her post, because to me it reads that she was driving while comatose, which is simply not possible.

There is definitely that part as well :slight_smile: I think oftentimes people mistake being blacked out for being in a coma, while medically there is a pretty big difference. I haven’t had a blood glucose related blackout, but I know some people do. I have no idea how low someone might have to be for that to happen, but I suspect that is what was being referred to.

27 or 28. Before the pump and CGM. It happened very slowly over many hours. I got home from walking to the grocery store. I felt weird, so I tested. You can very low without realizing it if it drops down slowly.

Lowest I remember was 27. And I definitely felt it. That was early after diagnosis. I guess I would still feel being that low but don’t feel it like I used too.

38 but had dropped slowly so I was functioning okay. Chugged a glucose shot, chomped some glucose tabs. My husband was more worried than I was. But a rapid drop to 47 after dinner with wine and a short walk resulted in visual distortions in a major way, shaking hands, etc. Didn’t test till after I drank the juice. We were both worried that time, especially since it seemed to take forever for my BG to climb back up.

LO. And I was conscious and able to re-test because WHAT THE BEEP?!? and I sure didn’t feel in any way low but yep, LO again - so I just got some glucose to fix it. LO on my meter is less than 10.

Keep working. Once you give up, you gave up. Keep on keeping on!

Probably a low 40ish number sometime in the past. Possibly a 39. Never needed help or passed out in 51 years. More recently, with pump, MM/Dexcom CGMS, nothing below 50.

WIthin a month of my diagnosis I had a low of 1.2 mmol/L (21 mg/dl) and, though I felt perfectly fine (I had hypoglycemia unawareness right from the get-go, which has actually improved somewhat in adulthood), my mom freaked out and said that I should be unconscious. Once in high school my meter (a Bayer Dex at the time) gave me a reading of 0.6 mmol/L or 11 mg/dl. I felt low, but otherwise felt fine, and was able to treat myself. Other times I’ve had readings of LO, which mean either below 1.1 mmol/L (20 mg/dl) or below 0.5 mmol/L (10 mg/dl), depending on the meter (I think most modern ones cut out around 1.1 mmol/L or 20 mg/dl).

Of course, I also had numerous lows while on NPH where I was so low that I was either semi-conscious, unconscious, or otherwise so unable to think or communicate that I was unable to treat myself or effectively seek help. During those times, whoever found me never bothered testing, they just started forcing sugar into me. So who knows how low I was on those occasions. I agree with @DrBB: NPH caused extremely nasty lows, the likes of which I haven’t experienced since switching to the insulin analogues.

Even with the Dexcom, I hit the low 2s mmol/L (35-45 mg/dl) many times a year. I’ve managed to stay out of the 1s (25-35 mg/dl), which I used to hit a handful of times per year before the Dexcom, so that’s a very good thing!

18, the fire department loved me naked on the floor.