How Many Carbs Do You Eat per Meal per Day?

Hmmm, I haven’t read the Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution yet, so perhaps I’m ignorant on what fats do for us. I had my worse spike over one cup of coconut milk-banana smoothie with jelly balls. Might have had more carbs in it than I believed, so I’m not drinking it again although it is soooo delicious.

Definite candidates would be the banana and jelly balls. Essentially, If it’s sweet, it contains carbs, unless you know it is ONLY an artificial sweetener. Bananas, according to my reference book are about 23% carb. Could be more if very ripe… Being in the Uk, I’m not sure what a jelly ball might be, but it sounds like either candy or a dessert of some kind, so sugar rich?
Hana

The Banana Coconut smoothie seems like a big carb party! your banana (as Hana said) is around 25 grams or so depending on the ripeness, there is most likely apple juice @ 10 carbs per 4 oz, plus what ever else. I tend to stay away from most fruits due to the high amounts of sugar in them. Berries are your best bet though.

I’m not sure what jelly balls are made of either. They are found in Vietnamese style smoothies and you are given a very fat straw so you may suck up the balls. I actually did not like the texture of the jellyballs, too much like jellyfish, ha, so I avoided eating them, but sucked up a few anyway.

I figured one cup of the coconut milk-banana might contain one large banana. The coconut milk is more fat than anything else. I had also had a Bahn Mi Thit Nuong (pork & pickled carrots in French bread roll) hmmm, more sinful carbs, but I left off most the bread.

Those are also known as boba. They are tapioca balls and run about 20 carbs a serving. One of those boba drinks will run you about 70+ carbs a serving. Plus the boba takes time to digest. the pickled carrort and pork might be laden with sugar as well. Sounds like quite a meal! =^)

I usually average 40 carbs at breakfest, 40 to 60 at Lunch and also at dinner. snacks in mid morning are 24 afternoon 50 and 30 at night. sometimes the average carb changes during day. If I go over I reduce later then sometimes way over. I average 200 to 400 carbs a day

Wow, Bill D, I think 400 carbs a day would kill me. Just kidding. I’m sticking to 150grams per day or less. It’s definitely better when I do less.

onesaint, thanks for the information! I am adding it to my food diary so I know what the probable carb amount could be. I have yet to find anyone who knows how much carb in pickled carrots. Cucumbers are fine but when we pickle them, we have to limit how many to eat, so I assume it must be the same for pickled carrots.

T2
No meds
Weight is in range but want to lose 9 more lbs.
A1C 6.0

Daily:
3 meals 45 carbs
3 snacks 15 carbs

Which makes it 180 carbs per day.
My dietitian upped my carbs-15 more after dinner as I was zonking out in the evening or the next afternoon.
I needed more carbs.
Eat dinner 45 carbs, walk dog, drink glass of soy milk with favoring syrup for 15 extra carbs.
So now daily carbs amount is 195.

The less carbs I eat, the easier it is for me to manage blood sugars. Not everyone feels too good on low carbs though and I’m on of those people so I add fruit and brown rice, raw sprouted grain bread, and sweet potatoes to my diet…this combo works pretty well for me and feels awesome!

The goals we were given by the nutritionists for my son was 250-300 carbs per day. He is averaging ~250/day now.

What doses of medication does this require? It’s a LOT. Is your son a growing child?
Hana

Hi Manny - love the topic. Thanks for posting.
I am a Type2 and I try to follow these guidelines: breakfast 30 carbs, lunch 45, dinner 0, snacks 15 - the idea is to keep carbs as close to 100 as possible. ( : D)

He’s 14, diagnosed 7/1/09. And as a typical teenage boy eats most everything thats not nailed down. The most his insulin requirements have ever been is 60 units total per day. Since then we’ve started making different food choices and it is now down to 9-10 units total per day.

That’s brilliant!
Hana

Going really low carb does take getting used to. I you have always run high, You will feel a bit hypo at first. For me the answer was to live with it and not increase the carbs. I now know I can go to the gym in the morning on a fasting of 85 and not come to any harm. To me it’s worth it.
Hana
I haven’t lost hypo awareness. I do still feel it, but at below 60 and 1 glucotab is sufficient to sort it out.

Thanks! Have started blogging about it… it’s so much easier to manage an I:C of 1:50 than one of 1:15!
http://www.type1diabetesdelicioso.com

I would always say that the alternative to more carbs, is less medication.
I too walk dogs regularly.
Hana

Hi
I was just recently diagnosed with diabetes and was looking to see how many carbs. I should be eating
daily. I am on Metformin, T2. I am trying to be very careful of what I eat because I don’t want to have to take
the needle. { Big sook here } lol I am not looking at this as a negative thing but a positive because I need to loose weight and will now for sure.
Is there a carbohydrate counter online that I could get?

If you Google for nutrition info, you’ll find loads of stuff and can choose which suits you best. Here in Britian, I use a little book called Collins Little Gem Calorie Counter. If that might suit you, search Amazon. It’s very inexpensive.

I personally find fresh food cooked from basic ingredients, avoiding sugars and starches works for me. I have near non-diabetic blood glucose pretty much all the time. With PLENTY of exercise

Hana