How much insulin do you take?

Hi -

I’m currently taking .37 units per kg. I was diagnosed 4 years ago at the age of 57 with T1. Although never officially diagnosed as LADA, I assume I’m still producing useful amounts of insulin as does my endo.

Maurie

34 units TDD humalog, 103 kg.

I’ve never thought much of these type of formulas, because there are too many variables such as endogenous insulin, diet, activity, etc. And it looks like the answers in this thread bare out that variability.

I’m LADA but probably no longer produce any insulin - I don’t think LADA would have a blanket difference because depending on when we were diagnosed, we might or might not still produce insulin. A longterm LADA is for all intents and purposes a type 1. There might be some differences based on age of diagnosis, but that would include all adult onset, not just LADA.

Anyway, I figured it out for myself at around .32 per KG.

That’s an oversimplification because everyone doesn’t eat the same number of carbs & protein or have the same activity level, which is what determines insulin doses.

I currently take around .52 units per kg of body weight. Humalog, on a pump for two years. Type I for almost 19 years, Dx’d at age 14. I have insulin resistance and thus take Metformin in addition to my insulin which has lowered my doses considerably. I tend to eat fairly low carb (avoid gluten as well) but do eat some carbs in moderation. Nothing crazy restrictive.

About .35, I think. Diagnosed as an adult, presumably honeymooning, also pretty physically active.

It varies of course, but average for the last two weeks is .66 units per kg. I do not restrict carb intake, but do limit sweet and refined carbs - I eat lots of fruit and vegs, not that much meat. I exercise regularly. And I am T1 juvenile diagnosed.

Forgot to mention that that is my favorite book on T1 diabetes - tons and tons of good info and everything is referenced. Description of how to carb count is better in the Walsh books, but other than that I think its the best book on T1.

I have never heard of taking insulin per body weight… Is that pump terminoIogy?

About .41 per kg. I’m pretty low carb, usually around 40 cho per day.

I average about 0.38 per day, though am trying to lower that. I am combining my short and long acting insulins together here, as i am not sure if that is the correct method. I am 6’2" and weight 210 lbs (95.5 kg) and exercise a lot; 5 or 6 times a week. Carbs are bad for cholesterol so I try to keep it as low as possible, but a guy’s gotta eat! I have type 1 and was diagnosed in my late 20s (I am now in my early 40s).

I see that book you link to is for kids (and young adults), primarily, so maybe the numbers aren’t relevant for adults? Just a thought. Many people citing numbers here are under the 0.5 mark, but don’t claim to be athletes.

Dx 57 years ago. TDD 20-22 units daily. Humalog
63.5 KG

I think it’s an interesting question :slight_smile: I average ~.55 units per kg. I exercise moderately (no marathons yet). Moderate carbs. 5yrs old on diagnosis.

The book (which I own) is not just for kids, but is for all Type 1 (but not Type 2) diabetics. It’s an excellent book - the best reference I have.

I am about 0.63 per kg which will change! T1 for 22 years, vegan and pregnant at the moment :slight_smile:

I take about 0.65 units/kg. My basal/bolus ratio is 75/25. I am diagnosed T2, but am actually not real clear on my type. I do still produce insulin. “Using Insulin” suggests that an average insulin sensitivity results in about 0.55 units/kg. If you follow a low carb diet, your bolus needs drop and you won’t have as high a TDD. If I ate the ADA recommended diet, I’d probably need about 1 unit/kg.

I require about 0.31 units/kg. Type 1 diagnosed 16 years ago yesterday. I exercise a fair amount, but I don’t do low carb (although thanks to people here on TuD, I am doing lower carb, and that really is better for me).

I am currently at about .61u/kg and I am a pumper. I did the math from when I was lighter and used less insulin (still pumping) and I still came out with .62 back then. When I was honeymooning (almost never had #'s over 200, or ketones even with a lost/bad pump site) it was right at .3u/kg, and it was clear when that was over - I suddenly had very variable BG’s and developed ketones very quickly any time I was without insulin for any reason.

I am a firm believer in “you need what you need” in terms of insulin requirements because everyone has slightly different body chemistry and metabolisms. I don’t particularly consider myself insulin resistant, nor do I feel I use too much insulin. I am currently overweight, but I am still active… I have other metabolic things going on that make the weight harder to lose. I have been losing slowly, but it’s been just that - SLOW! I also have fairly high levels of insulin-antibodies which render a fair amount of what I inject “useless” so there is that to consider as well.