How normal is normal?

Yes, I have a guideline for carbs consumption, and I think I’m doing well on that department. I’m not very fond of fat since I have high cholesterol, so I try to consume a lot of veggies, and the right portions of protein.

Thank you for the book suggestions! I am so glad to have found this group. Diabetes and dieting are not new for me, but sometimes I need more support. :slight_smile:

What is DKA

RC

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life-threatening complication in patients with untreated diabetes mellitus (chronic high blood sugar or hyperglycemia). Near complete deficiency of insulin and elevated levels of certain stress hormones combine to cause DKA. DKA is more common among Type I diabetics, but may also occur in Type II diabetics generally when physiologically stressed, such as during an infection. Patients with new, undiagnosed Type I diabetes frequently present to hospitals with DKA. DKA can also occur in a known diabetic who fails to take prescribed insulin. DKA was a major cause of death in Type I diabetics before insulin injections were available; untreated DKA has a high mortality rate.

Cody I really have to say this and I’m sorry if I offend you are anyone else on the DKA matter but as for me IT IS NOT from not taking the percribed insulin but it has been from the bs going higher than what was precribed at the time. I have gone DKA and am on the pump and had trouble with the pump delivering the insulin I need over time or even getting the precribed insulin and not counting the carbs right. I was DKA when I went into the hospital but over 35 years have been DKA atleast 20 times since. I have tried to do what the Dr said and this still happen. Ya’ know sometimes the best is not good enough!

Doris you didn’t offend me at all. What I posted about DKA was what I found on the internet. I was looking for a good definition of it. It is not my own words at all so no problem there. I am lucky I have never been in DKA, but I do know I have been close several times.

These numbers are frightening, my doctor has suggested insulin but I have not been strict with my diet to try and control with only oral meds and diet. I really do not want to go on insulin as the lows you guys speak of scare the crap out of me. I am on day two of strictly no carbs, logging everything i eat and testing 1 and 2 ours after eating. two days ago I was testing 280’s and 300 today I am below 200 on every test but the lowest is 139 how long should i go before i throw in the towel and jump on the insulin train? BTW I am type 2 and on Januvia

RC

Rob,
I’m T1 and I just wanted to say the going on insulin shouldn’t be considered a bad thing. I know it’s scary when you first consider it, but it’s really not bad at all.
I did insulin injections (1 - 6 each day) for over 30 years (now I’m on the pump) and while I did experience occasional unpleasant lows, I’ve never gone into insulin shock, required medical assistance, embarrassed myself, or had any other seriously negative experiences caused by insulin making me go too low. So you shouldn’t think the worst-case scenarios you may read about are inevitable.
If getting on insulin will allow you better BG control (reducing the chance of complications) and enjoy eating some carbs, then you should look at it as a good thing and discuss it with your Doctor.
Ken

Maybe you just need to have your meds adjusted. I’m currently taking 1000 mg of metformin, but I have the feeling the endo will increase the dose.

Be strict with your diet, and exercise! :slight_smile: Good luck.

Ken, thanks for the encouragment, I am very concerned about gaining weight with insulin.
I was taking Actos and found it very difficult to maintain current weight let alone lose some.
I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week but until now have had a horrible diet and too much beer.
I now am on Januvia and it doesn’t seem to work as well as the Actos as far as controling BS but I have begun to cut a few pounds. Hopefully losing some weight, being extremely strict with a dieting. A larger concern is everyone talks about how dangerously high the 200 mark is and I have been tracking higher, granted today with alot of readings from 139 to 189 although that is an improvment I have most likly been in the 200 and 300 catagory for several months. How much permanant damage does that do? Oddly enough I don’t feel like my sugar is high until about 280!!!

Rob,
Your body is used to you having high blood sugars and it will not react the same as everyone else’s body. When I first started getting my blood sugars under control I would feel low if I got under 200 as my body wasn’t used to it. Now that I got my sugars under control with insulin my lows are in the 60’s usually. I started losing weight on the insulin, but it was from going to gym 5 days a week, did an hour of cardio per day and an hour of weights, varying body parts from day to day and also following a strict diet. In a month’s time I went from over 300 units of insulin a day to around a 100 a day just from working out. I have lost 40 lbs in about 2 months since I started working out. It is possible to lose weight on insulin, but you have to be diligent about it. Going on insulin was probably one of the best choices I made with my diabetes.

Rob, Constantly being above 200 is definitely not good.
The weight gain often associated with initially going on insulin is simply ending the bad condition of out-of-control BG. If you gain more than 3 - 5 lbs going on insulin, that means you’ve probably long been eating more calories than you’ve burned, but your out-of-control BG caused you to urinate them away (which is damaging to the kidneys) rather than gaining more weight.
If you decided to start on insulin to improve BG control, you’d probably need to reduce your overall caloric intake (cutting out the beer would probably be a good start) in order to continue a healthy slow long term weight loss. The thing to realize is that you can lose weight and get your BG under better control. It’s not easy, but it’s important.
The T2’s around here are much more knowledgeable than I, in this area. I really just wanted to encourage you to consider insulin, as it might really help with the BG.
Ken

Well, I’m very happy to share this news with you. After a couple of weeks of frustration, I finally reached two digits today. I got an 86 before dinner. :slight_smile:

Cody
You are so right about YOU being the one with this problem! Betriz please always know that what works for one may not work for a fellow diabetic. I hate to tell the Dr’s out there but there is NO textbook case of diabetes out there! Both my daughter and I are Type 1’s but she can’t handel a high above 350 and goes into DKA almost instantly. Me on the other had don’t go into DKA til around 700 and that’s after a few hours and sometmes days of being that high! I know I shouldn’t be talking to a Type 2 about their meds since I have never taken them. Both my daughter and I have had to have insulin to live since the ages of 10 and 11 respectifyuly.

The main thing is be proactive with your care. If you don’t feel comfortable with your doctor then find another one. I can be in the 30’s and still be conscious and have my wit’s about me and I am like you Doris, it takes a lot to put me in DKA, I can be high for weeks at a time and still not be in DKA. Beatriz you will find what works for you, it is all trial and error. Some days I can eat the same amount of food and be high and the next day I might eat the same thing and be to low. Just all depends on how your body decides to react. I think Diabetes is more trial and error than it is actual and factual. No matter how much research they do, everyone is going to be different. The common bond we all have here is Diabetes no matter if you have type 1, type 2, or pre diabetes.

Ken, I certainly appreciate the input, I am on day three of strict regiment and have gotten several reading below 180. Hopefully I will continue to improve as I learn how different foods affect me. What are some things to look for when choosing an Endo? I have been see’ing my family doctor regularly but I think I should consult with some one who specializes in the feild…Any thoughts?

RC

That is good news. The next thing to aim for is to make that a regularity and keep it that way for a long, long time. :slight_smile:

Oh all to true Cody! Sometimes the food will do weird things at different times! I have had the samething happen to me…Eat the same foods day after day with the same carbs in them and one day be high, the other be low, then on the 3rd be just right! Like the 3 little pigs HA!!

Beatriz,

That is very good news. Congrats!

Do be aware that eating fat does not raise cholesterol. Eating CARBS is what raises cholesterol. Most people who cut their carbs enough to lower their blood sugar will see their cholesterol improve greatly no matter how much fat they eat.

This is all documented in excruciating detail in Gary Taubes’ recently published book “Good Calories Bad Calories.” The belief that eating fat raises cholesterol was never proven. Instead because some powerful leaders in the medical community wanted to believe that it was true, they suppressed the research that showed it was not.

The only time my HDL and triglycerides were bad was when I was eating a low fat diet, when they skyrocketed, thanks to the very high blood sugars they caused.

If you eat few enough carbs to keep your blood sugar low, you can eat fat safely.

That is FANTASTIC!! Doesn’t it feel good??!

I’m curious if you are referring to any fat or non-saturated fats. I eat what you would consider a very large amount of carbs, probably about 40% of it being fiber, and have fantastic cholesterol levels. I actually dropped my LDL over 3 months by increasing nut and whole grain intake and cutting out eggs, milk and butter (I rarely eat meat). So my experience shows that carbs do not raise cholesterol and cutting out the only animal fats I ate, while adding plant fats, contributed to a 30 point drop in my cholesterol. My HDL stayed the same, which was at a very good level. I haven’t read this Taubes book or any of his research, but what he says is obviously not for everyone. I’m living proof. I’m also pretty convinced that cholesterol levels are more affected by genetics than anything. I think this is another one of those areas where YMMV.