How to manage Trulicity pain?

Has anyone figured out a way to make the Trulicity injection less awful? Google isn’t helping me much. Everything says it’s “nearly painless”, and the forums talk about it like it’s similar to insulin injections. Newsflash: it’s not! That auto-injector is brutal.

For anyone reading this without firsthand knowledge… it materializes a built-in hidden needle that you never see, stabs you, injects a full ml of fluid (100 units), and withdraws the needle again all in a fraction of a second. It’s not the needle penetration that hurts. It’s having that much fluid shoved into you in the blink of an eye that’s torturous, like your flesh is exploding from the inside out.

I’m actually Type 1, trying it as an amendment to my insulin regime to get my total daily dose and weight down. After 6 weeks, I like what it’s doing for me, but I get MAJOR anxiety over each new dose. Thank goodness it’s only once a week!

I tried numbing my stomach with ice tonight. Still wound up bent doubled over, doing lamaze breathing exercises through the pain, and feeling like I’d been shot in the gut.

It uses a dispersion injector. As opposed to a puddle injection that regular syringes do.
It’s supposed to be absorbed faster and more evenly.
I wonder if there is an option to draw from a vial.
That might solve your issue if that exists.

It only seems to come in these auto-injector things. There is literature about “pre-filled syringe”, and I’ve asked for them, but nobody in med office nor pharmacy have a clue what I’m asking about. I think “pre-filled syringe” might just still be referring to the automatic injector thing.

SAME HERE!

I am type 1 and was taking it too - it was the WORST pain! Every week, I put off taking it as long as I could because it hurt so much. I told my nurse practitioner and she switched me to Ozempic, which is not an auto-injector. And you get more than one use out of the pen, so that reduces waste. I haven’t tried it yet since I still have two pens of Trulicity left - I can’t wait to be done with it.

2 Likes

Nice to know I’m not alone here!

Unfortunately, Ozempic is much harder for me to get. I have to exhaust all the first tier options first before they’ll cover it. Hope it works for you, though.

1 Like

Very interesting, I have taken it for years ,and once in a great while feel the sting. But generally no problem. Nancy50