My husband has the stomach bug. I know it's coming for me. I just stocked up on supplies and I'm now trying to make myself an easy to follow flow-chart so that my sick-idled brain can follow it.
All the "Sick Day Rules" online say that when certain things happen, you need to "Call your doctor." I don't know about you, but I never have some sort of worrying medical issue during office hours. How do I know if something is an actual emergency or if I can wait until the Endo's office opens to talk to them about it?
I'm specifically talking of things like...
- BG over 250 for 24 hours
- BG over 300 for two tests within 8 hours
- Ketones in urine (what if it's just "light"? Still ER?)
- You feel sleepier than usual (but... I'll be sick...)
- You can't think clearly (again... sickness)
- You throw up more than once (is there a time limit? does a spit up count?)
- You have diarrhea (it's a stomach bug, of course I'll have diarrhea)
- You have an infection
Help me out a bit. I want to be proactive about my health, really, but I'm not going to go to the ER at 2am just because the sickness has made me a bit sleepier than usual.
**** I know no one is going to tell me "yes" or "no," I just want some thoughts and guidelines so that I can use my own common sense.