Humalog and heat

I use Humalog for meal dosing. For the past couple of days I’ve carried my insulin pen in the pocket of my pants all day in 80+ degree weather. Yesterday I used it at breakfast, it didn’t bring my blood sugar down like I expected. And continued doses (without eating) didn’t bring it down much either. I thought the heat might be causing the high blood sugar, or medication that I’m taking. But last night I switched to a new pen and my blood sugars started to drop. Seems like the Humalog didn’t like the heat. This never happened before. Has anyone else had this experience?

Hard to know for sure but we all know heat can degrade the stuff. When I was doing MDI I used to carry my injector pens in a shirt pocket on the theory that shirts stay looser so body heat is less of an issue, especially in the hot weather. Heat can also cause you to be dehydrated, which can also cause you to run high.

2 Likes

Hello, I am not on Humalog, I use Novolog. I remember reading somewhere (can’t remember where though) that for every temperature change the insulin will degrade by a percentage. Pens not used need to be kept in refrigerator which we all know. Pen being used needs to be kept at a constant temperature. If the temperature outside is 80 degrees and body heat would raise it even higher, it would degrade faster. I think the chemist that I read this from said that the degradation would be 50%. If I can find the source I will post it. If you have to carry the pen around, a Frio might be a good idea. When I first started on Novolog I was using the vials and I kept them in the refrigerator at all times, because I noticed that it degraded and became less effective after about 2 weeks unrefrigerated, refrigerated it lasted 6 weeks. (I am on a low dose.) Lantus degraded even faster, at least that is what I experienced. Now I am on Pens for the Novolog and Levemir.

1 Like

Thanks @JoAnn2. I thought that’s what may have happened. But it never had before. I wonder what people do who wear insulin pumps in hot climates. Thanks!

I’ve worn an insulin pump for many years. I usually have it attached to my belt, so it is not directly in contact with my body heat. I don’t live in a tropical climate but it does get hot here. One thing I have noticed at times is a problem with rising blood glucose on the third day of a site. I’ve always assumed that the site tissue absorbency degraded. Perhaps temperature could have played a role, too.

I have traveled to tropical climates, like Hawaii, and have not experienced heat degraded insulin. I use Frio sleeves to store the insulin vial that I’m currently using. That will keep it at ambient temperature. Frio makes sleeves for insulin pens.

1 Like

The Humalog package insert says that the storage temperature upper limit for currently used vials, pens, and Kwikpens is 86 degrees F. for a maximum of 28 days. It’s interesting to note that they list the maximum temperature of insulin pump use is 98.6 degrees F.

2 Likes

It is expected that the pump will be next to your body and the prescribing information says that Humalog is good for 7 days at this temperature.

1 Like

I use Humalog in my pump and keep my pump in my pocket. Live in Florida. It hasn’t been an issue for me.

1 Like

I have a Frio but it’s a dual size and it’s too large for my pocket - will look for a single - maybe that will fit.

I use a pump and use Humalog in it. I shove mine down my bra and no problems with it. It gets pretty hot here in the summer time. I also in the winter sleep under a warm heated blanket, no problems with that either.

Thanks @kitkat2 - maybe it was just a fluke for me and not the heat after all - I was on vacation and am back to where I can better regulate the temp of my insulin - so it shouldn’t happen again (Until next time!) :grinning: