Hypoglycemia before being diagnosed with Type 1

Is it possible to have problems with hypoglycemia several years before being diagnosed with Type 1? My son was diagnosed in march of this year. He is 19. He said he can remember in high school when he was playing sports he would feel like he does now when he has a low. He said he usually felt better after drinking a Gatorade. My daughter had an episode of her hands shaking like she was having a low blood sugar. I was just wondering if this could be a sign she may be having problems with her blood sugar.

Yes absolutely. I had hypoglycemia about
10- 15 years before going into dka. I bought a meter and tested it. My lowest was 38-40’s I think. It was an older meter so it was probably not quite that low. I went online and people told me to eat some carbs protein and fat which I did and then my blood sugar returned to normal. I thought I was not eating enough because I would go long periods without eating while I was active. In the past I had often had fasting tests in the 60’s

My low symptoms then were not like insulin lows- I felt weak and sometimes mildly fluttery or dizzy but I never felt I was in danger of passing out etc. with all of those other horrible symptoms I get now when Bg goes low and or is dropping quickly.