I died... almost

Click over to my blog for the full text of this blog post and the one from last night I refer too.

Last night was hot. Let me rephrase that… it was HOT and HUMID! I’m not joking when I say the only dry part of me was the bottom 12 inches of my pants. It literally looked liked you grabbed me by my ankles and dunked me in the river. It was to the point where when I was standing behind the plate it was dripping out of my mask and when I punched someone out there was a visible quantity of sweat the was tossed everywhere…

My insulin held up. How I have absolutely no clue. It’s not supposed to be that stable in the heat, but somehow it was perfect. In fact, it was too perfect. Before the start of all my games I run my basal down 20% 2 hours before game time and on hot nights an hour before I drop it to -30% for the duration of the game. I like to be between 105-125 when I’m behind the plate to make sure I don’t pass out or get dizzy back there. Also when I’m working out and end up in the 60’s and 70’s I start to cramp up really bad, so I like to be high for a few reasons. Last night all that went out the window w/o me knowing. I couldn’t figure it out when I was on the field but I couldn’t keep my BG up. I checked before the start 80, well that’s easy to fix. I drank half a G2 and walked out the field. 4 innings in I measured and I was at 78. I drank another half of a G2. Inning and half later 74, I drank the other half, another inning 68 and a piece of candy. That was the time I started to get a little worried…

SuFu, Ph.D.