I don't know my type of diabetes, Can you help?

My current age is 35, i am diabetes since 2009. My father is diabetic, he got it when he was around 40+. My grand-ma was too diabetic.

Still i don’t know my type even after 8 years being Diabetes :frowning:
Doctor’s were treated as T1, T1.5 now i am being treated as T2DM

Here i’m providing some blood test result along with lab reference range

C-Peptide: 1.8 (Normal range: 1.1 - 5.0)
Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase IGC Antibodies : 25.8 (Negative <30)
Anti-Insulin Antibodies: 7.5 (Negative < 12)

Today when i consulted with new Endocrinologist, he mention that “Since my antibodies are negative”, you can’t be LADA/T1". That is why he is treating me as T2DM and prescribed Inj RYZODEG

Please do suggest me how to identify my type, too confusing

I was also diagnosed young (28), but my antibody levels aren’t high enough to qualify as a T1. I was treated with T2 meds for a while but they didn’t work. So now I am on insulin (pump + cgm) and am still called a T2. It means insurance doesn’t pay for the tech stuff, but otherwise the type label doesn’t impact my treatment at all.

1 Like

This Diabetes Forecast article summarizes the six blood tests that can be run to help diagnose type of diabetes. People with type 1 diabetes do not always test positive on every test. Since you’ve only had three of these six tests, perhaps your doctor can order the other three tests.

1 Like

I’ve been going through much of the same thing in one way or another. I was diagnosed at 50. My GP and original endo labeled me Type 2, because I tested negative for autoantibodies, and my c-peptide and insulin levels (including injected insulin) were “normal.” HOWEVER, the c-peptide and insulin tests were done postprandial, rather than fasting, so the results were not “typical” for Type 2 (whatever typical is - usually high), plus, they ONLY tested me for GAD65. GAD65 is often the first antibody test to become positive; however, it can vanish after a time, not all Type 1’s test positive for it ever, and I was over 50 - and the older a person is when that test is taken, the less reliable it becomes. All-in-all, they should probably have tested the other autoantibodies before making a decision.

In the meanwhile, my c-peptide and insulin have been retested multiple times – and each time that have been lower than all previous tests. Last year, my last endo declared me to be Type 1., updated my records – and then RETIRED. The new endos I’ve seen have, so far, left the question open in their heads, though the one I’m seeing now is “reluctantly” leaving the diagnosis as “Type 1.5” without a clear-cut determination as to "which’ T1.5 it is. Not the best option, but, hopefully it works. Type 2 meds have universally caused me more unacceptable negative side-effects than benefits, so I am on insulin, via insulin pump and using a CGM – essentially “Type 1 care plan.” There have been no discussions about changing that plan, as it’s been working for me.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Could you tell your experience about using pump? Just wondering how convenient or problematic it will be? Using pump, can we do our regular work like carrying infant in hands, go for shopping, put 5-6kg shopping bag etc

I have found that having a pump has made my life feel more “normal” than when I was taking multiple injections a day. I wear it in a pouch around my waist (spibelt.com) so that I never have worry about forgetting to take it out of my pocket before using the bathroom, or finding a way to wear it comfortably at night. In the belt it doesn’t get in my way at all.

i was diagnosed at 29 around christmas time. at first my dr was thinking type 2, then type 1 then it ended up being LADA. then i became type 1. I think its in the blood test or something and your endo should also know what type you are classified as. I read about what each type is for knowledge and understanding. and makes me well aware of what is out there. im surprised that your endo doesnt know what type you are either. endos are suppose to know what you are.