I dont know what to do

I’m 24. Been diabetic for a long 17 years. I have been having problems with my sites recently. I had to switch from stomach to the love handle area. I left my sites in too long in my stomach. I know it was stupid but I really can’t handle this disease. They stopped working and I was devastated. Now I’m having bent cannula issues in my side. It does work most times but I’ve had enough that its a problem. I can’t do metal sets or manual insertion. I feel like I can’t do this and I just want to die. I mean that. I’m ■■■■■■■ tired. My anxiety is so bad that my mom has been doing my sites since I changed location to my sides… how pathetic is that? How do you all do it? I see you all tall on here so casually about everything and it boggles me because its so not a part of my world. I am not a chill diabetic. God I have tried. And if everything just WORKED I could do it. Even then it would be hard. Sorry to be a downer but I just can’t imagine how this is going to be in even 5 more years.

There’s a term for what you’re describing: diabetes burnout. I’d guess that nearly everyone on here has experienced it at one time or another.

When I’ve encountered burnout in the past, I’ve found that evaluating and adjusting the thing causing the most anxiety or negative feelings is the most productive step. It sounds like the biggest problem in your management right now are the sites.
How about the pump itself? When the sites are working, does the pump work well for you? Are you able to stay in a good range? How’s your A1c?

I switched from the pump back to multiple daily injections a couple years back because I was having pump site problems. I had originally planned to just take a break from the pump, but I liked the freedom of not being attached all the time. So I never looked back.

That may not be the best option for you-everyone is different. Maybe you could consider doing sites on your legs and arms instead? Switching site locations regularly can really help.

Take 10 minutes at a time for starters

Sounds like you have scar tissue build up in your tummy area. You have to use the other parts of your body. You have to rotate your sites. Don’t re-use a site for as long as possible, say 1 month or more. It can be done as you can see from the photos. So many places to inject. For unreachable areas, have somebody to insert the cannula for you. I am male, and I even use the MOOB (men boob)area for injection.

stop using cannula-type sets. Switch to steel sets such as Sure-T if using a MM pump. I had to do that myself or I would have given up pumps years ago. I had tons of kinked cannulas/no delivery.

If not using a MM pump the name of the steel set is Contact Detach or similarly named.

Perhaps, but the ROOT of her issue is the long-term usage of cannula sets. I had been pumping for a number of years before the cannula issue became so severe that I was actually going to stop pumping–something I couldn’t believe I’d EVER had considered, but going sky-high from a lack of many hours of basal is a real downer, especially when it happened over and over. Imagine that happening at night, with no CGM…

MM had no suggestions to solve the problem. Luckily for me, I had folks online give me the solution: Sure-T’s. Problem solved.

I’m starting to run into the same problem as the OP after 5 yrs on a pump (35 yrs w/T1). I’ve always been assiduous about switching every 3 days and rotating sites, but the abdominal ones for whatever reason are starting to be really bad, absorption-wise (as I’ve just been struggling with the last day or two).

The problem with that graphic is that they’ve been handing it out for decades (I first encountered it when I was dx’d in 1983) and was designed with injections in mind, not infusion sets. I used all those spots when on MDI–but a lot of them, especially the ones on the right half, are really problematic for a tubed pump. I always end up ripping out the infusion set taking off my clothes or just moving around in an ordinary manner, and some of them are really hard to run tubing from (back of the upper arm), or extremely difficult to get at for reattaching the tube clip (mid-back), or just ridiculous (back of the butt? seriously? with pants on? sitting on it at my desk all day? and using the toilet???), or some combination of the above.

My personal term for it is “Diabetic claustrophobia,” because that’s what it feels like to me. And the cause is usually exactly what you’re describing: not the disease itself, or even the treatment per se, but it’s when the stuff you’re using to treat it keeps breaking or isn’t working the way it used to anymore. I hate having to deal with changing what has become a settled routine. I’m just going through it myself, the evidence undeniable that my abdominal locations are just not working, and when I’ve tried places like the lower back, love-handles or back of the upper arm, the damned things won’t stay in for 24 hours without getting yanked out or kinked by just normal motion, or dressing/undressing. And I do not deal well with this stuff. Makes me feel like, well, like I’m in a box with no air holes. How the f*** am I going to deal with this going forward?

In my case @Dave44’s suggestion seems like a good one, though I’m not fond of it either. Fortunately I don’t have the issue about needle insertion–used hypodermics for 20 yrs, wasn’t much choice back then. It definitely sucks but it is something you can get used to if you have to.

The arms and legs freak me out so much. And I just switched my locations! I’ve tried going back to MDI but I wouldn’t eat because I didn’t want to give myself a needle. The pump has worked for me but I am just unsure why I’m getting kinks and its making my site change anxiety worse. My A1c is ok most of the time. Thanks for your reply

Yes that’s a good term. My concern with the steele set is manual insertion and changing it ever 48 hours sucks. I already feel like three days goes so fast.

I know!! Some locations are wright offs! Its hard enough doing the site change when you’re looking at the damn thing nevermind doing it where I can’t see with my hands behind my back or some awkward angle. And some like you said just don’t work for people.

If the pump is causing issues, and MDI is problematic for needle issues, there is now of course another option. Many are starting to appreciate the equivalent of MDI but using Afrezza. You might want to investigate if it would work for you, or at least as a temporary pause from the pump. Still need basal injection and probably a CGM insertion, but much less constant hassle.

You don’t need to change it every 2 days! Disregard anything u have read that says you must change a Sure-T every 2 days.

There IS no easier set to install than a Sure T. Just hold it over your site, and tap it in with your finger. There is nothing to it. It will go in easily as the size of it is FAR SMALLER than a cannula.

That’s very good to know. The two-day thing is definitely “out there,” but I couldn’t find an official statement about it. Closest I came was a how-to-insert video posted by MedT-Australia. In the last few seconds there’s a graphic indicating you should change it every one or two days, meanwhile the voice-over is saying “be sure to change every two to three days.” So, um, yeah ok.

Anyway, I thought the whole point of steel is that it’s less irritating to the dermis, thus less likely to provoke an immune response leading to diminished absorption, than nylon. I’d do it every three days and if there’s no problem, there’s no problem.

Exactly right. I’ve been wearing them for roughly 3 days for at least a decade. My wife wears them for even longer. ZERO problems. Children can have a stronger “rejection” response than adults, and since they were first marketed for kids, the 2-day suggestion was implemented in marketing.

I tried the sureTs and hated them. I continue to use quick sets, for at least the last 10 years. I tried steel sets when quick sets were not working well. But that was resolved by getting a new quick serter. Seems over time the spring mechanism loses the force of entry for quick sets. So new inserter and problem solved.

I have seen youtube videos of Mio 30s, for non US countries, and wish we could get them here. I think I would like them better than quick sets due to angled needle/cannula.

Sure T’s come in different needle lengths as well as different tubing lengths. I use the long tubing (31" IIRC) and 6mm needle

If you switch to a steel needle set, be sure to remember that you do all of the priming PRIOR to insertion, as there is no “dead space” from an introducer needle, because it doesn’t use one.

I received samples of Sure-T’s before ordering them. I was in desperate need for something that would work immediately, so the tech support dept got them to me in a couple of days. Because they worked well, I then ordered my 90 supply of Sure-T’s from the orders department.

Perhaps YOU don’t like them, but I’ve talked to lots of people who switched and that’s all they will use. Why try to suggest to the OP that they won’t work for them? It’s up to them to try whatever it takes to fix the problem. If something doesn’t work, the only course of action is to DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. THAT is why I suggested they change sets.