I don't want to anymore....just over it:(

lately i haven’t been wanting to do shots/test anymore…i don’t know what to do anymore…

i’m starting with the pump paperwork and it seems like my mom has only been pointing out tne negative in it… i know she is trying to help but, it’s just soo hard…

i don’t know hat to do anymore… please help i need advice…

~Sadie

Diabetes is a huge life adjustment. I’ve been a type 1 for 13 years, and I still get angry about it from time to time. Its a 24/7 disease with no time off. We’re the one who is blamed when anything goes wrong because we obviously weren’t paying attention. I challenge any non diabetic to live a week in our lives, because they couldn’t do it.

I went through 2 years of counseling/therapy after my diagnosis. It helped me tremendously. My therapist equated my diagnosis with the loss of a life, and I went through the stages of grief. Only after I exited a stage did I realize what was going on. I’d recommend therapy if you can afford it, or find a good support group.

A pump is a great tool, but it also takes a lot of dedication and work. It doesn’t do everything for you, you still need to be a participant in your health. I’d never go back to shots, I depend on my pump and it has made my life so much easier. If you do decide to go on a pump, give it at least 6 months before you decide to stay on or go back to shots. It will truly take you quite a while to adjust yourself to it.

Please find a good support group wherever you live. I have a group of type 1 women only, and its so encouraging and reassuring to be with people of my own kind.

Hang in there.

Sadie, what I can say is that it WILL get better. The pump IS better than shots. I know you are frustrated - with your body, with those you love who don’t understand exactly how you are feeling or even what you are going through. But here you will find lots of people, of all kinds …young like you, someone like me (probably about your mom’s age), students, dads, teachers… all of us have experienced at least something of what you are feeling now.

There’s no denying that it is hard work, but perhaps you can start focusing in on where you want to be. Focus on getting that pump into your life, and focus on doing what you need to do to get it. Of course, everyone is different, and everyone expects something different from the pump. Make a list. What is it that you want the pump to do for you. If what your mom says is negative, do some research to figure out if it is valid, or just a worry that she’s expressing (perhaps negatively) out of her concern for you. Pin this list up where you see it. Join a group of peers… whoever you identify most closely with. There are a ton of groups here at tudiabetes. I’m betting one or more will be helpful. Read the bios of people and ask them to be your friend. Look for friends here that have pump experience. Learn what they have to say about things. They can help to. Of course, you’ve already stepped forward asking for help… I’ll certainly be a friend, and there’s others in the group to. There’s a lot of really caring and experienced people here.

For me, the pump opened up the world, and made me feel less of a slave to the shots and testing. It made me feel less strange. I carry it in a cell phone case. Nobody is any wiser, except for those I choose to share with. My BG numbers are pretty stable (not perfect, but usually because I didn’t count carbs right, and it is easy to correct). My A1C is ok (my new year’s resolution to improve), but it gives me a sense of control. It seems to me that you are struggling with feeling that things are out of control. I started the pump 3 years ago, and the pump changed all that for me, and that was HUGE for me. Sure, there have been bumps along the way, and I grumble about things from time to time (we all do), but despite all that, it is better. Sure, testing will never go away. But if you take the shots out of the equation, that is at least part of the battle.

I hope this helps, and if you want to talk more, just let me know. :slight_smile:

Hey, Sadie<3, if we could, we’d hug you. I second all Cara’s suggestions. There are so many using pumps, I wish you could be with some so you can get ideas from them and be a part of a support group that helps you. Ask your endo for some to call up and chat.
Sort of offset the negative and dance with the positives. Easing stress helps - gather a group around you to be buddies who will encourage you. And here are more hugs. …hugs … hugs. And keep on here, letting us know how you’re feeling…

Hi Sadie,
Anytime I get overwhelmed with diabetes care, I try to learn more. When I read tips in books or websites about things like carb counting or changes to make when excercising, etc, I feel way more empowered about what to do. Knowledge is power!

I also agree that a support group can be helpful. After having T1 for five years I found a group in my city. It was very cool to find others in the same situation as me. My doctors and health team give advice, but when a tip comes from another T1 it seems to mean WAY more.

Happy thoughts!
Nadine

i’ve already shot them down to her and they are reasonable…