I might be done with Minimed cgm

I just finished taking out another heavy bleeding cgm minimed sensor. If this continues I think I am going to make the switch to Dexcom. I really like it when it works but it just feels like it shouldn’t be this difficult to insert a sensor and get it to work. Sorry for the rant but I had to get it off my chest.

Where are you putting the sensor. You should not be hitting bleeding spots very often. Have you tried putting direct pressure on the sensor for 30 sec or so to get the bleeding to stop?

Do you have the skin thickness to accommodate the needle. Maybe a sharper angle would help. I get a little bleed about every third sensor. I use my my arms.

Nick,

I had the same issues as you when I tried the MM sensor. The rep explained to shoot more of a 90* angle into the skin rather than the 45* so that the sensor would ‘wet’ better (whether or not that is correct, I am unsure). I’m not super lean, but I’ve still got quite a bit of muscle, and I always had pain issues w/ the sensor…and then I had a bleeder virtually every time I pulled it off. I hope that suggestions like Mr. Woodward’s will help rectify your situation, or that you find another CGM that works for you (they’re obviously great tools, but the MM version did not work out well for me).

My Son just received trained on using the MM GGM a couple of weeks ago. We went straight to hockey practice after, he bled quite a bit. I chalked it up to the strain of the exercise.

Was the angle of insertion to blame?

Thanks for the tips. I am currently inserting at 60 degree angle in the lower back area. There is little to no bleeding when the needle is inserted it is when I remove the needle that the bleeding starts. I have this issue approximately 40% of the time. The only reason I mention Dexcom is the insertion process appears to not have bleeding issues. (although I don’t know that as fact). I will try again today and let you know how it goes.

I bled every time I inserted the mm sensor and it was always incredibly painful for me. There are tons of other discussion posts on this topic on tudiabetes. Unfortunately, this is a very common problem and one that has led many people (including me) to stop using the mm cgm.

Someone suggested to me to leave the needle in for 5 minutes or so to keep the bleeding to a minimum when pulling it out. That seems to have worked for me. I also find that if I start pulling it out and see blood coming up the sensor cannula, keeping the needle in place for a few more minutes stops or lessens the bleeding.

I used to have bleeding problems with my Minimed CGMS, but made two changes that have helped tremendously. For insurance reasons I am unable to switch brands, so it’s Minimed or nothing for me at this time.

Like others, I was advised to insert the sensors at a very steep angle–steeper than in the Minimed instruction manual. I am very thin and always had pain and bleeding issues with the sensors. I stopped doing that and insert them at about a 35-40 degree angle. I have very little pain on insertion and no lingering pain even if it hurt at first. I haven’t had any bleeders since I started doing this. I had no changes in performance with the CGMS. In fact it probably works better because my sites aren’t irritated any more.

The second and probably most important thing that I did was reduce the aspirin that I was taking daily. My internist feels that a daily aspirin has questionable help in preventing heart attacks in women, but that in order to get the best chance at effectiveness, women should take 2 baby aspirin per day. By cutting back to 1 baby aspirin a day, I have eliminated most of the bleeding with infusion sets and sensors. It was fine with my doctor when I made that decision.

If I had the insurance option to switch brands, I would in a minute. But because I own the Minimed transmittor, my insurance will not allow another brand. However, they will buy the sensors. When the transmittor breaks, I suspect that they will not replace it because I do not fit their criteria for CGMS. ( I originally got the system under my previous insurance plan.)

I had the same problem with sensor insertions. I feel that the spring loading device is too quick and sloppy. This causes pain and bleeding. Does not go in smoothly. Try manual insertion. Don’t think I had any bleeders for 3 months. It is easier and have better control. Once you get past the “prick of the needle” it slides in fine. I push the sensor all the way against the skin firmly and twist a bit. Twisting will unpucker the skin around the needle. Pinch then insert. Hope this helps.
Sid

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has had problems with that thing. I had a heavy bleeder one once–took it out and it keep gushing! That CGM is very hard to get to work properly. When it works right it’s great but I had more bad days than good. It just can’t keep up with my sugars. I started having a reaction when I had one in. That rubbed me the wrong way. I just gave up. What do you know about the Dexcom company? Maybe theirs works!

I’ve used both, and Dexcom’s superiority in these areas (for both pain and risk of bleeding upon insertion, and bleeding upon removal is clear. My odds of a satisfactory insertion with MM were about 50/50, while my odds with Dexcom were at least 5:1, starting with the very first try.

The Dexcom Sensor wire is a lot thinner than Minimed’s. Shooting in the Dexcom Sensor seems to hurt about 1/2 as much as pushing home a flexible infuser (which I do by hand, with no device). The MM Sensor, in contrast, hurt at least twice as much. That’s a difference of at least 4x, over and over, every time. The advantage going in is a certainty: Less tissue is being damaged; it heals faster, and a smaller hole is being made for blood to flow from when it has been removed.

But there might be another advantage at removal time: The surface of the Dexcom wire is also made of Titanium metal, a very non-reactive substance. IIRC, Minimed’s surface uses a type of plastic coating coating, which might be provoking an immunological response during a lengthy insertion. So, in addition to the bigger hole, it might have a tiny bit bit of an “infected splinter” kind of reaction – but without the infection, of course.

My Dexcom sites do have blood afterwards- a tiny drop, about the size of the 26 Gauge wire. But it dries instantly, never bleeding again. BTW, I am on daily 81 mg “mini” aspirin therapy.

The size of the needle makes a huge difference. I used Dexcom for a year with no bleeding - none - the entire year.

I’ve been having the same problems. Pretty much all the problems that everyone has ever already mentioned here on tudiabetes, so I won’t add my repetitive rant anymore. lol I talked to a Dexcom rep last week and we are setting up a trial. I can switch from MM to dex in May and from MM pump to Animas in December. I am 90% sure that that is what I will end up doing. I am very unsatisfied with MM CGMS. I am jealous of the people who it works well for, but no matter what I do, it works well about 30% of the time…anyways. Good luck!!! :slight_smile:

I’ve definitely had my share of bleeders!

I don't get them every time; it seems to depend on the area I choose. Which is unfortunate, because I feel extremely limited in my choices of placement for the sensor. It doesn't feel okay / work correctly in many areas other than my upper abs. Way too scared to try arms--not sure how y'all stand that!!

I don’t want to try the dex simply because I don’t want a separate device to carry around. I am unsure if my insurance would let me switch. I wish MM would just improve theirs…a lot. Wonder how long that would take to happen…

If they haven’t specifically excluded CGMS coverage in all cases and have pulled “criteria” out of their butts then their criteria can be ripped to shreds by a proper Request for Appeal. (Examples include the common so-called requirement that a Hypos must be below 50 mg/dL “frequently”, and the slightly less common “your A1C is already too good”.) Both of these examples are indefensible, you win by warning the decision making MD that you’ll possibly be asking his/her licensing board for an investigation of their competence if they refuse to grant coverage.

If CGMS coverage isn’t TOTALLY excluded outright, then it’s pretty easy to win for any adult T1’s specific case. No one who has sent an Appeal Letter which I’ve ghost written for them has EVER been denied the Appeal :))