I need help and motivation

Hello all! I am new to this site, however not new to the disease. I must say that I am still not as knowledgable as I would like to be and I am not doing everything I need to get this under control. Can I please get some suggestions on things I can do to get this under control to the point of hopefully coming off meds. I know that my weight plays a factor in that. I can’t seem to get motivated to exercise, eat better and to leave coke (soft drinks) alone. I don’t want to die at an early age but I see myself going down that road. I don’t even really know where my numbers need to be. I may test twice a day. HELP ME HELP MYSELF!

Hi Chevakia:)
This dis-ease is something we will die with; no doubt. On the other hand; we need to
find a way to live with this unwanted guest on our journey through life.
I think I’m a lot like you. I’m struggling right now. I just refuse to give up my diet soda at this time. Daily, I struggle with every meal. Fixing food for my family and a separate meal for myself. Exercise/ sigh… I’m not there yet either. I slacked off and have yet to motivate myself to do what I know is right. I, too, do not want to die early. I’ve got 7 children/6 at home. I want to live long enough… etc…
I’d like to invite you to the Weight Loss Team forum. We’re there to support each other with encouragement of “I’ve been there done that and what works for me.” We can send hugs and caring thoughts,give advice/suggestions, just be there for each other no matter what the goal:)
Hang in there!
MeadowLark

1. You’re not alone. Come here or to other diabetes sites to read often. You’ll find many, many, many fellow travelers.
  2. Switch to diet soda immediately, then try weaning yourself off by gradually substituting water or diluted fruit drinks.
  3. Go to your pantry and refrigerator and get rid of your high carbohydrat foods. If they’re not there, you won’t eat them. Get rid of white rice, white bread, pasta, and potatoes, for instance. Get a ton of veggies, fruits, eggs and meat/poultry/fish.
  4. Go for a walk after every meal. Make it part of dessert. Treat it like taking your medicine, cleaning the dishes or taking a shower - it’s something that can’t be skipped. You’ll gradually work up to longer walks or more vigorous activity.
  5. Try real hard to find a local support group - or start one.
  6. You’re going to live a long time because you’re going to take care of yourself.

Keep up the good work.

Terry

Amiga:
Your coming here and opening up the way you did is the first step of the rest of a very long life ahead of you.

-Visualize where you want to be, how you want to look, how you want to be: living a long life to see grandchildren; die of old age, not of complications.
-Think of those you love: significant other, children if any, anyone who may look up to you… not only do you need to be there for yourself, you also need to be there for them as Chris Bishop (another member) wrote so well in his blog recently.

At the end of the day, we choose: we choose to get up and do something about things or let things decide for us. I tell you: choose life, choose now… keep coming back and keep pushing hard. It ain’t going to be easy, so go one day at a time, and when you fall, you can still get up again and take one more step. And if you don’t succeed a hundred times, worry not: you will succeed.

Just believe you can, girl. And you will.

Vakia,

I love you and welcome! You know you can always call my cell and I’ll tell you the same thing…but…

it helps me to think about my quality of life that I will have if I don’t get control of my diabetes. I want my life to be the best it can be - and I know that is in my hands. And it doesn’t just affect you - it affects your fam, friends (hello!) and a lot of other people if you are not at your best. And when I say affect them, I mean they will worry about you and be crushed if you get sick.

So…I say rely on others as much as you can. Tell someone you don’t need regular soda, for example, so they can help keep you on track. A support group really helps.

Again, I love you and am here when you need me!

Also, I found this link on Jenny’s blog

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Terry

Chevakia,

I see Terry already pointed you to http://alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm. I just wanted to add that the title is deceptive. The technique the author of that page describes has made dramatic improvements in the blood sugars of people who have had diabetes for many years, too.

And I’ll second the suggestion that you get involved in online support groups like this one. Being with other people who have to deal with the same crap day in and day out keeps you from feeling so all alone. Hearing of other people’s success will make you realize you can succeed, too, and you’ll also pick up information and tips & tricks you might not otherwise have heard of.

Doctors are SO far behind their understanding of how to control this disease when compared to the people who have to LIVE with it. Fortunately, the online diabetes community has been working of a decade to get the information out there that can change the live of us people with diabetes!

Chevakia - welcome to this site! It’s a great place. I got a LOT of support and help here - there are wonderful people and such great info here. Losing weight is crucial, diet is crucial and exercise is too. YOU CAN DO IT! I know you can, because I have been doing it myself. And I had too - I was diagnosed on my 50th birthday - not exactly “young” and as someone who works in health-care I knew I had better clean up my act and FAST. As of today, I’ve lost 45 pounds in 4 months and I did it by quitting carbs almost totally. Like someone suggested - you give up Coke for Diet Coke then you go to water - small steps. (I just went cold turkey - because my glucose was already too high) Please go to Jenny’s site and also get Dr. Bernstein’s book - they both really helped me a lot. Find an exercise program that you can handle. I started Leslie Sansone’s “Walk Away the Pounds” - just a mile a day at first. (That’s like 15 minutes). Now I walk/jog 6 to 7 of them every day. My blood glucoses have now dropped down into the 90’s which is real good (I test 4-6 times a day). And I had to get on Metaformin - had to beg the Endo to put me on it - the Internal Med. doctor didn’t want to - but it helps to save your beta cells! I have also heard that Byetta will help curb your appetite & reduce carb cravings - but I do not have any experience with it, so I can not say. I don’t know about "coming “off meds” - maybe off insulin, if you are on it. And that you may be able to do - if you get your diet in line, exercise, lose weight. You won’t grow back your beta cells, none of us will - but getting your sugars under control now can stop you from getting horrible complications from diabetes and extend your life & the quality of it - and isn’t that what we all want? I know that if I can do it at 50, you can do it too! I’m pulling for you! Big hugs!

Chevakia,
Every day I ask myself, “Is unnecessary food more important to me than my necessary feet?” The answer is always “no”. Knowing I need my feet, keeps me from walking into my favorite Mexican restaurant and eating whatever I want to. Also, I walk 10,000 steps a day. That helps a lot! Makes me appreciate my feet and all the steps I take.

I would challenge you to think of your feet as a special gift. It’s up to you to hang on to that gift. Think of every place your gift (your feet) take you. They give you a great, independent life. Walk away from food that can harm your gift of healthy feet.

Anyway, that’s what I think about when I get angry about not being able to eat what I want to. In the long run (no pun intended) by skipping food pleasures, you will reward yourself by having your gift of feet for your entire life. I hope your feet will motivate you. Good luck!!!

Chevakia:

Four years ago I weighed 285 pounds. Today I weigh 226. It took being diagnosed with Type 2 before I began to make a serious effort to lose weight. Reducing the amount that you eat is tough, but I found that deciding what to eliminate was even tougher. I had to ask myself…“Is drinking beer really worth losing your kidneys, your eyes, etc.?” Submit your own demon. I had to say no to beer, sweets, juices, etc. and take care of myself. You can do it too.

Well, this is my niche. There are two factors which control my diabets, and they are D and E, YES
DIET AND EXERCISE. As a matter of fact I had read an article where Exercise is a great key for control. It can help your blood sugrars for up to 24 hours; On the other had you need to watch your diet. There are good and bad carbs. Carb like white bread, french fries, - white flours can spike blood sugars at a greater rate.

Go to www.glycemicindex.com Also, www.calorieking.com is a good site. I believe it is complex carbs that do not reaise blood sugars as quick as simple carbs.

Any other questions give me a holler.

David K.

Thanks for tyour response. I would love to join the weight loss forum, where can I find it.

THREE THINGS WILL HELP AS FOLLOWS:

1. DIET AND EXERCISE
  2. DIET AND EXERCISE
  3. DIET AND EXERCISE

I REST MY CASE

Just sent you an invite. You can find it on this page:
http://tudiabetes.com/group/weightlossteam