Need support and reinforcement to get healthy

Hi I am new to this web page and am looking for support. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Feb 2006. It runs in my father’s family and I have seen first hand what this disease can do to your body and your health, eventually death. i have a 12 year old daughter who means the world to me and i do not want to miss a minute of her life. So, why can’t I get motivated to lose weight and get healthy. I just went through a trial clinic and my A1C level and my fasting glucose was to high to be in the clinic. I need to lose about 40 lbs and start excercising, but I don’t. I live on fast food and pizza and sit around on the couch watching tv and searching for a job. it is a very sad existence but do nothing about it. I do not have family and friends to support me or act like they even care, and do not have health insurance right now since I have been laid off from my job, so I am not sure where to turn. I am very frightened of what may happen to me and I think about it every single day, but do nothing about it. Is there anyone out there that can relate? I am sure there are MANY!!

Wow, can I relate!! I was diagnosed in July, 2008. I usually tell people “I gave myself diabetes”. My fathers side has type 1 and type 2 so I feel like my family thinks I should have done more to prevent it. They would never say it though. I have a debilitating back condition that has left me unable to work or get around very well at this time. I’m sure my “couch potato” ways and unwillingness to exert myself have given me diabetes. I was so good when I first got diagnosed. I ate really well, cut out soda and tried to get off the couch more. I could tell I was losing weight and my family was so supportive. I couldn’t get my numbers down low enough in a month so I had to go on glipizide. I take a low dose, but I swear it makes me more hungry! I have depression really bad because of my back and feeling useless. I got on anti-depressants and it has helped. But I am not motivated to lose weight anymore either. I try not to eat sugar and my numbers are usually pretty good “for now” but, I am the only person that I know that has GAINED weight after getting diagnosed. I now have at least 60 pounds to lose and it is overwhelming me. I think I’ve just gotten tired of not feeling well and it makes me want to give up. Anyway, to answer your original question, Yes I can relate! I hope you can find support here. Sometimes it helps just knowing other people, even strangers, know what you are going through. I don’t know how you feel about it, but maybe you should see if you are going through a clinical depression. I know I am and just telling my doctor made me feel relieved ! I hope unloading my problems on you hasn’t made you feel worse, Yikes!! I’m new to this site also but I’m hopeful that we can get alot of support here.

It’s only been 2 months for me and so far I’ve stuck with the exercise and trying to cut out the carbs. Just start moving ONE day and see how it feels to you. Just try eating right and exercising for ONE day. That’s where we all have to start. Don’t think any further than that. When I think further, I get depressed. It seems really overwhelming. Just wake up and try for THAT day.

Hi Kristy,
Thank you for responding and no way did you make me feel worse. I feel very alone in this and you made me realize that there are people out there feeling the same way. Which I know already but…you know what I mean. I am sorry you feel so bad and for your back issue, and I understand. The weird thing is I prayed and prayed for something to happen to kick me in the butt and get my weight under control and then I get diagnosed with diabetes. Have done nothing about it since. Ironic right. as the saying goes-be careful what you wish for. I have seen people with back injuries and it is a very hard to get out of a rut. I have been in this rut before and gained a ton of weight. now that I am out of work I having nothing to push me out the door and it sucks. Thanks again for telling me your story and hoping you can feel better-spring is right around the corner maybe that will help both of us.

Thank you and that is very good advice. One day at a time. Have you lost any weight or is that even an issue for you? Have you seen a difference in your numbers? The sad part is I used to be a kickboxing freak about 10 years ago and lost 30 lbs and felt GREAT. tried to get back into it and go to the gym and it was so boring nothing kept me motivated and I felt like I was the only fat slob in the class who could not breath so I never went back. Very tired of feeling this way and really want to be a role model for my daughter, not some embarrassing fat mother. Thank you and good luck to you!!

Diabetes is a kicker. And depression with diabetes is a natural. I think we all go through periods of denial, or what they call diabetes fatigue, when it all just seems too overwhelming. I think the best recourse is what you are doing, reaching out to others who know what you are going through. I hope things improve for you, and for Kristy as well.

You are so right about just taking it one day at a time. Most of the people that I know who are diabetics are people who think about everyone else first…then themselves. I’ve recently gotten really down on myself again (must need to up the meds! lol) but when I was proud of myself for getting my bs under control, I didn’t dwell on it my numbers stayed low and I was less stressed. I too was an athlete years ago, but most of my adult life my weight has yo-yoed. I just put a picture of my wedding day on my fridge so I can see how good I looked when I tried…I keep telling myself, I used to be “hot”, i can do it again! LOL… Kim, I find it so disheartening that you don’t think your daughter is proud of you, Of course she is!! I actually thought about not going to one of my sons school functions, that he was nervous about, because I didn’t want anyone to see me…How damn stupid is that!!
Thank goodness I got over myself and went with him. He felt proud that I was there (he’s 15) and I helped him not be nervous. I don’t think our kids ever judge us by our size, even though we do it to ourselves. Just be there for your daughter that is what counts!! i’m trying very hard to do the same.