I, of course have another question

Once I get approval of my kermit (the name for my pump), how do I go about extra supplies? I know that I always had a pen when I am doing MDI but what about in case of something happens type deal. This is my first time o a pump so I am wondering how I go about getting a back up kit going. How do I go aobut getting rx, etc?

So overall, what do you have in your backup bag?

Amy, thanks for asking this. I to would like to know the answer. I know I can get Humalog pen samples from my endo’s office. My insurance company has said if I’m buying vials, I can’t also have the pens. I just assumed that I’d get one at my doc’s office, or I’d inject from the bottle of Humalog I have for my pump. I’m sure there’s a better way.

that is why I asked. I’m not sure what my insurance will do. Its commonwealth care which is a type of medicaid here in my state. So I had to ask.

I was able to get both Levemir & Apidra pens as backup to keep in my fridge. I am using the Apidra vials for the pump and my insurance didn’t care that I got both. Your insurance should let you have a box of Lantus or Levemir pens since the vials are the fast acting. Some people don’t keep them as backup but I live in a small town and if my pump would die on the weekend, I would not be able to get any. If you can’t get a box of pens thru your insurance or samples from your doctor, ask for a prescription for syringes. You should actually get some syringes anyway. I had them from the old days (glad I saved those things!) and now keep 2 in my purse just in case my pump would croak when I am not close to home – that way, I can at least get insulin out of the cartridge. I also use the syringes when I have insulin in the vial but not enough to get into the cartridge – saves some waste there.

I also keep an extra infusion set in my purse. Some people carry batteries with them also – I don’t do that but probably should.

Once you get your basals set to where you want them, make sure you print out your settings because if your pump would die, you don’t want to have to refigure all your rates out again.

Ask your doctor to write the site changes for evey 2 days even if you are doing it 3. I was actually having a problem and had to change every day and a half. If you have a bad site, you will need some extra. Also in the beginning, you might mess up some - I messed up a bunch of my first ones!

ok this is totally unrelated to the question, but…my pump is named Kermit too!!! :slight_smile:

LOL! We are animas pump kermit twins…lol

I had a few syringes leftover when I was starting out. I had a pen malfunction and used the syringes to get the pen to work. But will find out once I do get started.

They would be good to keep in your purse. That way if you are out someplace if your pump breaks, you don’t have to worry about carry extra pens with you. I also use them to move insulin between vials so that saves on some waste. I guess I saved those things for a reason!

Being a guy, I always get teased about my “purse” looking bag… LOL… I have all kinds of arsenals in this bag, including syringes, IV-Preps, IV-3000, Skin-Tac, alcohol, pen needles, reservoirs, batteries, for both my pump & cell-phone, glucose tabs, lifesavers, extra test strips, and Listerine spray… LOL…

Some of my friends think it’s a little over the top, however, someone always manages to ask me for something, out of that bag… :-/

Make sure that your pens has at least a year+ expiration date on it. Personally, I use the insulin out of my pen for my pump. Insulin is a lot of money for me, and I’m not wasting anything. Once I finish the insulin pens that I have, it will even out the extra insulin vials will get. Does this make sense?? In other words i’ll still have extra insulin, I just won’t have to use the pen any more.

I normally don’t use a lot of insulin, so I always wind up with extras. if this is the case with you too, make sure you also rotate the vials so that you always use the oldest first!

Check out the discussion on JUST IN CASE BAG

My main backup is a syringe that I keep in my Ping case. I find it easier to take fast acting every 3 or 4 hours around the clock for short periods than to deal with Lantus/Levemir on board. I do try to keep a sample of Lantus or Levemir pen from the endo in case I have a longer time off the pump. In all the years I’ve been pumping that only happened once.

My other backups are auto ship for supplies. That way I don’t have to remember to reorder. My prescription for supplies also allows for changing every 2 days. I vary between 2 and 3 days for set changes depending on illness, carb intake, site problems etc.

My Dr also has my Novolog prescription set for the highest amount of insulin I might need daily including illness and waste that comes with set changes.

I keep a battery in my meter case and I make sure I’m well stocked with replacement batteries at home.