Since I heard about the recall, sent them my unused quicksets, and received the first batch of the new ones it’s been nothing but trouble.
The first set went in fine but the adhesive refused to stick (I had to use the IV 300 tape to keep it in). After a few days it began to hurt but not bad enough to take it out early. By day 5 or 6 (I don’t really keep track, I just change it when I’m low on insulin) it was time to take it out. The cannula didn’t just leave a hole behind as usual, but had torn my skin vertically so that I had a gash connected to the hole. The cannula was also bent at a 45 degree angle.
Second set I put in hurt. There are some areas on my abdomen that hurt less than others (and some that don’t hurt at all) and I used an area that usually has very minimal pain, That time, however, the pain was not minimal. Besides the initial pain my numbers were also running about 40 points higher than they have been since I adjusted my ratios perfectly. I stuck with it though until today when my insulin was running low again. When I pulled out the cannula blood squirted out and then began pouring profusely. It took me 30 minutes to stop the bleeding and clean the area of blood, but that’s when the real freak out happened. I looked at the hole and it appeared “bad” (for lack of a better word, and I will spare you the graphic description). It could be a very severe bruise or, and I hope not, infected. The cannula was full of blood too (inside obviously).
Then it was time for the third set (inserted just a few hours ago). As I mentioned above, I have areas on my stomach that I can use for insertion with no pain whatsoever. I decided to use one of those areas but instead of what I expected I doubled over in pain and nearly ripped the whole thing out by the tubing. In fact, I didn’t only because my daughter was holding herself up by couch pillow next to me and I was afraid I’d accidentally get her with the violent swing of my arm. It’s too soon to know about BG levels or what the area will look like when it’s time to remove this one, but I am wondering what the hell is going on.
I never had anything like this happen with the Lot 8s which were supposed to be malfunctioning (a percentage of them anyway). The box they sent me is Lot 2, but I’m beginning to suspect that they replaced my properly working Lot 8s with malfunctioning Lot 2s.
I’d open a new box but they have neglected to send me the rest of the supplies they were supposed to have sent me by now (I’ll be calling them about that soon) so I only have this one box.