If you’re new to the community, please introduce yourself!

WELCOME to our forum! We are happy to have you here and would like to get to know you better!

If you’re new to the community, please introduce yourself!

Untitled design-7

7 Likes

Can I introduce myself even if I’m not new? There are so many members I haven’t officially “met,” so I’d hate to pass up this opportunity!

I’m Lorraine and my connection to diabetes is through one of my children. Caleb was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 3. He’s now 15. We live in Connecticut. Caleb uses a combination of OmniPod, Dexcom and Loop to manage his diabetes.

Looking forward to hearing from others!!

6 Likes

Not new but for those who don’t know me. Mom of 3 teens, my younger one was dxd with T1 in 2006. We use Omnipod and Dexcom, LOVE diabetes tech!

When I’m not working on Beyond Type 1 or this community, you can find me on a baseball field watching my boys play. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi I’m Sam. I used to post a lot here but a few months back I had a problem with my password or something, not sure what happened there. Seems to work now.

8 Likes

Hey Sam !!!

:smile:

3 Likes

Hi, everyone! My name is Lily and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in April 2017 with an a1c of 7.1. I adopted a low-carb, mostly ketogenic lifestyle since then and have been maintaining an a1c of 5.4. I am still learning so much about Type 2. The hardest part of my diagnosis has been not feeling shame or embarrassment about it all. It has been difficult getting my mother and sister to understand how this came about and even as grown woman with three children, I still let their judgment and misunderstanding get to me. The good part is I have an extremely supportive husband and three understanding kids who have all adopted a low-carb lifestyle with me and they have all seen the benefits of doing so like I have! Going keto/lchf has helped me keep my blood glucose levels within range, with fasting levels in the 90’s and post prandial levels below 140. Still, I seek to understand a little better how I arrived at this diagnosis and as time goes by, I’m understanding a little more, like how genetics plays a large role, etc. I was slightly overweight, not obese, was moderately active, and followed a largely paleo type lifestyle prior to diagnosis. Anyway, I feel like I could type forever, so perhaps I should stop now. Haha! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to introduce myself. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi, @LilyMarie! Welcome!!

1 Like

Hi . I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetics 28 years ago.it has been a long journey. At first is was embarrassed. One of my co workers said “oh,fat and fourty.” Yes I was overweight!but quite active and definitely not obese.
Ps he is now fat.Then over the years other family members started being diagnosed. I am on 4 oral medications, 3 injectable medications and now the dex con g5.
I can keep my a1c in the 6 range. I have lost 30 pounds, and I am proud of myself. But it is still a life time sentence .

3 Likes

Your good attitude and supportive family will go aa long way as you fight this battle every day. Welcome to TuDiabetes!

4 Likes

There’s much to be proud of there. Welcome, @Whit!

4 Likes

Hi! I’m Michele. I am type 1 diagnosed at 48yrs old, 2 yrs ago. I am currently on MDI. Lantus and Humalog. I am definitely still working at figuring this diabetes stuff out! Hoping that there are some folks here that can help and that I’ll be able to help some folks myself :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Whit,
I would be thrilled to see that A1c! Much to be proud of indeed!

4 Likes

Its good to see you my friend.

3 Likes

Hi, my name is Amber. I am 14 years old. I recieved my first omnipod yesterday. We are going to start training for it soon.

4 Likes

Welcome, Amber! Good luck with your training. My son is 15 and has been using OmniPod for about 11 years. If you have any questions, let me know!

Yes ma’am. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hola!

My son is also 15 and been a podder for the last 8 years! If you need help just ask! Best of luck!

1 Like

Yes ma’am! Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Fran. T1 for 26 years this month. I’ve been struggling. I have fibromyalgia and a terrible “poor me” attitude which I am working on. I find the “Diabetes Dominator” very inspiring. My hubby and I were living part time in Canada with his mom and part time in Grenada. We sold our house and I thought I was being spontaneous, but I really to needed to set down roots, have a routine and be surrounded by my own (tidy) stuff.

So, in August of last year I finally found an affordable apartment near “Ma”. Neither house-mate shares my way of eating, so I would just take the easy way out and eat what they ate. This often meant not being able to easily carb count not to mention not eating low carb or heart-healthy. Long story short, once I got out on my own I got back on a schedule and keep a very healthy pantry. Oh yeah, I also have binge issues. :blush:

My A1c has gone from 8.1 to <7 and I am happier. However, I miss the companionship of my husband and my Ma. I also miss having someone else take out the garbage and go grocery shopping! I’m hoping that being a part of this community will help on my journey back to wellness.

7 Likes